cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate to autoloader fails "A tape read/write error has occurred"

Brentwood
Level 4
I have 7 servers that i backup to disk nightly.  the backup server is running on VM ESX 3.5  Backup Exec 12.5 SP2

On Fridays, I set all servers to backup and then duplicate to tape.  the first 6 servers run fine and duplicate to the autoloader.  Tape 1
the last job, also the biggest fails at about the same spot with error "Final error: 0xe00084ec - A tape read/write error has occurred"
these were brand new tapes for the last backup.

I beleive it is an issue trying to span to the second tape. 
I have both tape loactions set in their ouwn partition, and am able to inventory and see the tape names.
All jobs are set to append then overwrite.  the atapes are in the correct media set and are appendible.
I have a cleaning tape in slot 8 and the autoloader is set to autoclean.

Can someone help me troubleshoot why this is doing this. 
10 REPLIES 10

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

As the Disk backups are successful, lets assume that their is some issue with the tapes or the library.

Lets try a test backup directly on the TAPE which is causing issues

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Brentwood,

You said your autoloader is partitioned...are those tapes in separate partitions, or in the same group?
Reason I ask is that a job would be directed to a specific slot/slots. If those tapes in those slots were filled up, with nothing else available there, the job would queue/fail.
Please let us know how your partitions are set up. If it's each tape in its own designated slot, you might want to consider expanding that partition to include another slot, which would allow another tape to be used.

Laters!

Brentwood
Level 4
DevT,  i will try a backup job.  Not sure how I will do it though.  Maybe if I place one tape in slot #2 and direct the backup to the partition to see if grabs the tape.

CraigV,

I have two partitions.  Slots 1 & 2 are in a partition and slots 3-8 are in the second.
I have all duplicate backup jobs set to go to partition 1 that contains slots 1 & 2.  I have tape A in slot 1 and tape B in slot 2.

The jobs that do successfully duplicate have in the Destination Drive and Media Information weekly # A as the tape that was used.  the job that fails also has the same tape in the Destination Drive and Media Information section.
So I assume that the job fails when it should be grabbing Weekly # B after weekly # A fills up.

The job that fails is quite large so the duplicate runs the next day.
In the job log of the last duplicate to run before the failed job

Duplicate- Server#1 Data
Source backup set had completed with following error/exceptions.
V-79-57344-33037 - Physical Volume Library Media not found.
V-79-57344-33037 - Physical Volume Library Media not found.
V-79-57344-33329 - Library - cleaning media was mounted.

Yet the Job monitor shows 100% successful.

then the large duplicate runs and fails after about 350 GB

CraigV
Hi,

As long as the tape in slot 2 is either scratch or set to append, it will grab that tape. If not, the job would queue/fail.
Check to make sure your overwrite protection is correct, and let us know...

Brentwood
Level 4
The tape indicates that it is overwritable but not appendable.

The media set that all tapes belong to is set No overwite protection and appendable is 41 days or one day short of 6 weeks.

The backup jobs are set to append to media, overwrite if no appendable.

CraigV
Set appendable down to 0 and see if this fixes it. Those settings though indicate the tape SHOULD be used. But SHOULD isn't good enough...=/

Brentwood
Level 4
I have set the append period to 0.

Now the media set shows

None - allow overwrite
None - Dont allow append

Brentwood
Level 4
I am also going to set up a trace to see if it is an SCSI issue.

mrpushner
Not applicable

Backup exec 11D 7071

No autoloader, sinlge tape drive.

I run several B2D's one for each server.

If I then MANUALLY run a duplicate job to get these to tape, the duplicates fail. 

I usually get through the backup, and then part way through the verify, the drive just stops, and I get the "a tape read write error has occured" blaa blaa....dirty tape ....blaaa blaaa.

Well, I don't believe its a bad tape or a dirty drive or a hardware issues as I have run 50 regular backup jobs on the same drive that are 10 times bigger and take 10 time longer and I NEVER have any problems. 

Only with the duplicate to tape jobs.

I have not tried these backups from a policy as of yet, as I have to write like 20 separate policies to do what I want (backup each server separately from separate B2D folders)

I have cleaned the drive many times.

Any leads on this?

Thanks,

MP

CraigV
Nope, the guy never got back to us...but check your media's errors...that could be a clue as to whether or not it is a faulty tape/drive, or an application error. If application, update and patch it fully and try again.