cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate to tape stalls disk based backups in the same job

Mgamerz
Level 3

I have a large backup job (that has actually been split to help the job complete faster). The full backup is about 16TB of data (uncompressed) which takes about 3 days to backup, which fits into our weekend window.  I am noticing that the duplicate job to tape (full's only) stalls all weekday incrementals. I have duplicate set to run right after the source job finishes (full).

While this job is running, the incrementals won't run. As such we miss several days of incrementals. I have adjusted settings to run this as a separate job right after, and it still stalls the other jobs. I also split verify off into its own job, didn't make a difference. Why can't the incrementals not run if a full is being duplicated to tape? They get stuck in a "To Be Scheduled" state until the job completes.

2017-06-14_11h40_28.png

For example in this screenshot we have missed a few days of incremental backups because of this duplicate job.

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Have you created a separate duplication job that is configured to run the minute the other job completes? In this way it is a totally separate process.

Thanks!

So running the duplication job as a separate job in the settings... doesn't really do anything if I have it linked to run as soon as the source task has completed? It seems there is no point to this option if it is linked because it still stalls the job.

The backup definition window for this job:definitions.png

The settings page for Duplicate

2017-06-22_11h28_57.png

The options for the duplicate job:

2017-06-22_11h31_31.png

It seems that having it duplicate job run immediately after, as a different job, is literally the same as At the end of the job, except that it shows up as a separate task. This task still stalls the jobs. This is confusing and is not what I would expect when I run things as a separate job - is there a point to running this as a separate job if it is linked? It seems like quite a bit more work (and more confusing) to have to have completely separate backup definitions for something like this.

pravinkumar_d
Level 3

Check the disk concurrent / increase it and try / Since read write is linited with concurrency settings

Regards
Pravin Kumar D

It is currently set at 4 jobs. It has been for years now. It will stall even if the only job currently running is the duplicate.