cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplication Job of 2008 R2 AD Server to Dedup device runs very slow

e2p2
Level 3

I am backing up a Windows 2008 R2  AD server using Backup Exec 2010 R3 SP2 with all the latest hotfixes.  The Backup process runs at an acceptable speed (18GB @ 15m) but the duplication job (which is duplicating to a BE deduplication device) runs very slow (same 18GB @ 2h45m).  This also occurs on two other AD servers (seperate jobs).  All other jobs perform fine.  This is not a corrupt catalog issue, as I have tried a fresh catalog directory with no impact.  Also this occurs for both a Dedup destination and a Backup-To-Disk destination.

14 REPLIES 14

EliasA
Employee CPEP

Can you describe what the difference is in the jobs between the ones that run slow versus the ones you indicate "all other jobs perform fine."?

You also indicated in your post to me that you can't uninstall TECH195395, did this issue start after you applied this TECH?  / or if you can let me know why you are trying to uninstall it?

e2p2
Level 3

This issue appeared to start after the application of TECH195395, which is why I was attempting to uninstall it (as a test).  The three jobs that take a LONG time to complete at Duplication Jobs for Backups of Windows 2008 R2 servers with Active Directory.  These three are the only ones on the Backup Exec server that are DCs.  I am using a standard agent based backup.

WTulaba
Level 3

Did you check to see if any AntiVirus was running? 

EliasA
Employee CPEP

That is very interesting that it started after applying that TECH.  I do understand/realize you cannot uninstall it.  Did you just install that recently?

Have you attempted to install the latest patch that was released last week as well?
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH202063&cache=refresh

Are you trying to dedupe across a wan?

e2p2
Level 3

I installed the TECH last week.

I am installing TECH202063 to see if that makes any difference.

e2p2
Level 3

I do have AV running but the BE Program folder, the backup-to-disk, and dedup folders are all excluded.  Also the AV engine does not show any activity during the backup or duplication process.

e2p2
Level 3

I should also state that the Duplication Job appears to stall on "Updating Catalog".

EliasA
Employee CPEP

Let me know how the new update goes.  I think the issue you see is related to that updating catalog.  It isn't "stalled" but processing the updating of the catalog.  Which is something we are working on addressing on moving that part of the process outside of the backup-window process.

e2p2
Level 3

As you can see from the image below it did not fix the issue.

WTulaba
Level 3

Did you also exclude the process BEREMOTE.exe? I overlooked that before and it was constantly getting scanned. Might not be it, but worth a look anyways to increase speed a bit.

e2p2
Level 3

I'm not sure is this is important but I thought I would share the info.  As you can see from the attached image my dedup jobs are running slow but the server is showing upto 185MB/sec of IO activity.

e2p2
Level 3

The entire Backup Exec Program folder is excluded. My AV does not have exclusions for processes.

e2p2
Level 3

@elias A little more info.  Only three DC being backup by one BE server is experencing this slow catalog issue.  Two other DC's also being backup by GRT have no issue.  The three DCs (IST01,IST02,IST05) have one thing in common.  They contain an AD domain that has more than 100K AD objects,  One other item.  I did not have any problems until I enabled the Active Directory Recovery agent option.

EliasA
Employee CPEP

So if you once again disable the AD recovery agent, you see the improved speed?