Did you mean: 

Duplication fails (V-79-57344-33037)

Thomas_Hofmann
Level 2
Certified

Hi there,

I have the following setup:

• BE 12.5 (2213)
  • HP LTO-2 Tapedrive (with 200/400GB tapes)
  • Windows Server 2008 (non R2) with SP2

I would like to perform a backup to tape of about 45 GB and then duplicate a previous made backup2disk job onto the same tape. Is that possible?

No appendable media could be mounted.
V-79-57344-33037 - Error - Mount failed.
Physical Volume Library Media not found.

1. First Job: Backup2Disk works fine
  2. Second Job: Backup2Tape works also fine (is done while Job 1 is still running)
  3. Third Job: Duplicate Job 1 fails with the above message.

Thanks,

Thomas

10 REPLIES 10

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes it is possible...

Regarding the error message,  you can check Media Set settings of the media to which duplicate job targeted.

Also what is the size of your B2D job?

I think as it is a single .bkf file, the media to which you targeted the duplicate job should be able to accomodate it.

This may also be the reason for that error... 

Thomas_Hofmann
Level 2
Certified

Thanks for your answer.

Media sets:

I have several media sets. But am I right, that the media is assigned to the media set specified in the job after the job finishes and before it starts BE doesn't care in which media set the tape actually is in? BE just looks in the tape drive if there's a tape which can be appended to it uses this tape (and doesn't care in which media set the tape is in) - right?

Since the b2d is split into several 20GB files I would assume that BE would at least begin with the duplication - no?

But it could definitely be that the b2d is too big to fit onto the tape.

Job 1: 43GB (24 on the tape)

Job 2: 244GB (on disk)

This means I have 176GB left on the tape - with 244GB yet to be written on it. This results in a 1.39 compression rate I need to achieve..

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Wrong.

Media will be assigned to the media set at the time job starts not finishes.

I think your second B2T job targeted to one media set, whereas your duplicate job targeted to different media set.

Any alert requesting media?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

But am I right, that the media is assigned to the media set specified in the job after the job finishes and before it starts BE doesn't care in which media set the tape actually is in?

This is only true if the tape belongs to the scratch media set before the job starts.  If it belongs to any other media set then the OPP (overwrite protection period) and AP (append period) of the media set applies.

BE just looks in the tape drive if there's a tape which can be appended to it uses this tape (and doesn't care in which media set the tape is in)

Actually it is not as simple as this, but since you are using a standalone tape drive, it would appear so.  If you are using a tape library, then you will know the full story.

Your error message indicates that the tape in the tape drive cannot be appended to.  You should check the AP of the media set that the tape belongs to, to ensure that it can be appended when the job starts.

Thomas_Hofmann
Level 2
Certified

First I perform a backup of a windows server image to a tape (detached from b2d with duplication). The media is assigned to a mediaset called "Image2Tape" which has OPP (none - allow overwrite) and AP (infinite - allow append).

So in my opinion it should work - but BE doesn't seem to recognize these settings.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What are the error messages that you get?  Do post the joblog of this job in mht format.

Thomas_Hofmann
Level 2
Certified

Hi pkh, Thanks for your quick response. I attached the zipped logfile.

Redmadison
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Resently, I have the same error for one duplicate job, i'm getting the error V-79-57344-33037, i check my media set and is for 40 days overwrite protection and 40 days appendable, i do a quick erase of the media i want to use to write the data, but i'm continuing getting this error any ideas?

The version of my BESR is 2010, the source backup are B2D to a Tape with the duplicate option jobs.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Does you duplicate job actually start and fill the remaining space left on the tape - as that would mean it had appended and was now asking for a second tape.which has to be an overwrite

Timo_Schoenfeld
Level 4

What about http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH139036&key=15047&actp=LIST

Seems to be an error which can be ignored.

Regards Timo