cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplication jobs tape device contention

crankyDBA
Level 2
Backup Exec 2010
I've got several servers backing up over the weekend from a single policy, with a duplication template in that policy that starts duplicating the full backup sets on Monday morning.
Problem is, I've got two tape drives in the library, and when the duplication jobs start one grabs one of the drives, and another job grabs the second tape drive.
This results in a deadlock since neither job can get a second tape drive to write the duplication to.

Is there a way to make these duplication jobs (one is created for every selection list in the policy) run sequentially, or is there a way to have a single duplication job run that handles all of the backup sets?

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
In the job select the drive instead of selecting the library. For eg.

Device and media tab - select the specific drive instead of selecting the library.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
In the job select the drive instead of selecting the library. For eg.

Device and media tab - select the specific drive instead of selecting the library.

crankyDBA
Level 2

Will this cause a lot of tape swapping? For instance, dup job A will use IBM1, it will read some from the backup tape, then swap to the dupe tape to write it, then back to the backup tape, etc...
dup job B will use IBM2, it will read some from the backup tape, then swap to the dupe tape to write it, then back to the backup tape, etc...

Also, as these backup jobs are writing to the same media set, will i get into a deadlock waiting on the source tape?