cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplication limitations in 2012 (from 12.5)

howartp
Level 3

Hi,

I'm trying to recreate my jobs in BE 2012 VRay using VMware instead of the data-level server backups that I used previously in 12.5

We have a large B2D storage, plus 21 tape slots available, configured into partitions - 1 monthly partition, where tapes are rotated 3-monthly, four 'week' partitions, 1 'daily' (ie incremental) partition, plus spare slots for one-off's and restores etc.

We usually do Full B2D on Friday, duped to that weeks tape partition, plus Incremental B2D Monday to Thursday, duped to the incremental partition.

With BE 2012, it appears if I create a job to do B2D Full (Friday) and Incremental (Mon-Thu), I can either Duplicate it after the Full, OR Duplicate it after the Incremental, OR schedule it to Duplicate at a specific time/date/frequency - why can I not Duplicate it immediately after BOTH the Full and Incremental (ie Full on Friday or Incremental the other days)?  I expected to see an 'Add' button under the Duplicate part of the job flow, like there is when editing the Backup part of the job flow, allowing me one schedule for the Full dupe and one schedule for the Incremental dupes...

I thought I'd found a workaround by creating four jobs, each set to run the relevant B2D on the 'Nth' Mon/Tue/Wed/Thu/Fri of each month, but then I can't set the Duplicate to run on every day of that Nth week so I'd have to set it to run every weekday, but then I'd end up with four duplicate jobs trying to run at the same time every weekday...

Am I doing something wrong or missing something obvious?

Peter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Have you tried clicking on the Add Stage button at the bottom of the backup pane?  This will allow you to add a duplicate stage after a backup job.  Click on the Edit button on the Duplicate pane and it will allow you run it immediately after the backup job.  You can choose the source to duplicate and the storage to use. 

You can click on the Add Stage button twice and add a duplicate stage to both the full and incremental backups.  These are separate duplicate jobs and you can make them run after the backup jobs.  You would end up with something like this

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Have you tried clicking on the Add Stage button at the bottom of the backup pane?  This will allow you to add a duplicate stage after a backup job.  Click on the Edit button on the Duplicate pane and it will allow you run it immediately after the backup job.  You can choose the source to duplicate and the storage to use. 

You can click on the Add Stage button twice and add a duplicate stage to both the full and incremental backups.  These are separate duplicate jobs and you can make them run after the backup jobs.  You would end up with something like this

howartp
Level 3

[QUOTE]You can click on the Add Stage button twice and add a duplicate stage to both the full and incremental backups. These are separate duplicate jobs and you can make them run after the backup jobs. You would end up with something like this[/QUOTE]

Thank you thank you thank you!

I can't believe I missed that.

I had the backup stage doing Full and Incremental, and I had added one Dupe stage after it - then every time I tried it I must have used the 'add stage' button under the existing dupe stage (green), not re-clicking the add stage under the backup stage (blue).

Thank you!

Peter