cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESXi Support?

Joseph_Worrall
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Will the VMware agent work with ESXi (free ESX) server? If so, what is required? Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

Sudhir_Amin
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Joseph_Worrall
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Conflicting information and the reason I asked. According to this document "NOTE: At this time there is no support for VMware ESX 3.5i":

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/310739.htm

So which is it, support or NOT????

Steve_W_
Level 6
Employee Accredited

ESXi is supported with Backup Exec 12.5.

Cosy
Not applicable

HI,

If so can you point to the correct documentation? Is this backup through VCB ?

Message Edited by Cosy on 10-27-2008 06:05 PM

Mark_Valpreda
Level 5
Is VCB required to backup ESX with Backup Exec?

richlux
Level 4

Mark,

Did you ever get an answer to this?  We have the same issues.  We are using ESXi (Free) and have not purchased Virtual Center so we don't have VCB.  According to Symantec's FAQ, VCB is required, however, they also state that it is available for free from VMWare: http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/enterprise/other_resources/b-backupexec_12.5_faq_10-2008_69739.en-...

I have checked and this is NOT the case.  VCB is free if you have Virtual Center, but if not, you must purchase it.  So, as far as I can tell, the VMWare agent is useless unless you have purchased the full VMWare Infrastructure product.

Rich

Mark_Valpreda
Level 5

I was going to post my findings when I got back to work....but since you jogged my memory and was thinking about it.

Backup Exec REQUIRES VCB 1.5. VCB comes with the full product. I registered for the 60 day trial and used the VCB that came with that. I was able to do a sucessful backup and restore. We were able to backup 2 8GB VMs that are on an old Dell PowerEdge 2650 in just over 30 minutes to an LTO2 tape. I don't see where VCB requires any sort of license, license server, CD Key, etc. It's literally just files that get dumped into %programfiles%.

By the way, restore REQUIRES Converter 3.0....which I believe is free. Might as well install it while you are doing your testing/deployment though.

richlux
Level 4

Thanks. That did it.  I didn't actually do a restore, so I'll take your word for it, but I did step through one didn't see anything about needing Converter (although I do have it if we need it).

Also, I'm certain that if you ask VMWare, they would say that you have to purchase VCB because they do sell it as a standalone product.

Rich

Mark_Valpreda
Level 5

If you try to restore without Converter installed, it will error out after it stages the VM files locally with an error about the Converter not installed. In either case, it's free so not really a huge deal.

I am sure they would say that, I will monitor it as I go forward. VMWare needs to include some sort of backup for those. Using remote agents for that is just silly.

Glad you got up and working and my post was helpful. I hope someone else has luck as well.