cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eject tape automatically after all jobs have completed

lordbalmung
Level 2

I have 3 jobs which first backup to disk concurrently and then duplicate to tape sequentially. I want to eject the tape after those 3 jobs write to tape. The content size of all 3 are almost equal, therefore it is difficult to determine the order of request for tape drive.

I know that any job which requires a tape drive will till its turn, jobs are given a chance in the order of request, FIFO, if job priority is equal.

This is my question, can I schedule an eject at 07:00 AM and expect the eject to wait for its turn till all other jobs in the queue complete? Or will the eject trump over all others and run immediately even when (A) Another job is writing to the tape or (B) When another job is writing to the tape and there is yet another job waiting to write after the working job and before the eject?

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
You can see if you can schedule an export of the tape from the library, assuming it is a library that can do so. But an eject can't be scheduled...it will run immediately. Thanks!

Scheduling an eject is possible but not a fix;

1. Causes premature eject if the data grows and run time is longer than the scheduled eject
  2. There are scenarios where human error could cause empty tapes to eject and the jobs starve for a tape

My question is not whether I can schedule an eject, my question is whether a scheduled eject will wait for the job to complete or would it interrupt a running job

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Then you're wanting an export job and this should run fine as long as the tape is not in use. If it is, then the export job will be in Queued status, or eventually time out.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Are you using a single stand-alone tape drive (which would be an Eject) or are you using a tape library (which would be an export)?

Ejects CAN be scheduled, at least in BE 15, but I am not sure about the queueing.  One workaround idea is to add a 4th small (a single file is fine) backup with the "eject after job completes" option checked and schedule it at the END of your backup window.  That way it will only run/eject if the backup queue is clear.