cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ejecting RDX Drives using Backup Exec 12.5

Dunston_Paul
Level 3

We have a customer who runs Windows Server 2003 with Backup Exec 12.5.

The backup runs every night to a Quantum RDX1000 drive. The backup job is set to eject media after the job completes and set to respond to the media remove automatically. 

The RDX drive does not eject after the job completes, the only way i can get it to eject is to manually go into Backup Exec and click Devices, Right Click- Eject. 

Then i have to go to My Computer and eject the Removable disk from there. Either that or hold in the eject button on the physical drive until it ejects. 

If i just eject under My Computer i am told the drive is in use. 

I have tried restarting the RDXMON 1.16 service and the Backup Exec services but this has not resolved the problem, it still wont eject. 

Quantum RDX tools report no errors on the drive and i have tried the Symantec site and have seen loads of articles on this however nobody seems to have a solution

The device is listed under Removable Backup To Disk device. 

All updates for Backup Exec are installed.

Any Ideas what i can do to get this RDX drive to eject daily after the job has finished? 

NOTE: This used to work with the same setup using DELL RDX1000 drives

Thanks,

7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It is stated in the Admin Guide that some devices does not respond to software eject command.  Could it be  that you device is one of them?  Check with Quantum.

dedupe-works
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Grab Process Explorer from Sys Internals.

Go to: Find > File Handle or DLL...

type in the path to your RDX device and review what process has the device open.

I remember seeing issues where some WMI service would retain a lock on the device EVEN AFTER Backup Exec services were stopped.

Dunston_Paul
Level 3

Thanks dedupe, I will give that a try and report back 

Dunston_Paul
Level 3

Ok i have done what you suggested. I can see the following in Process Explorer:

What would be the next step, this appears to happen after every job. Is there some way i can automate killing the process to eject the drive?

thanks

dedupe-works
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Now, I cannot directly support your operating system, BUT, I can tell you there is a command called TASKKILL with an option of /IM that you could use in conjuction with the process name.

Also, there is a way to use a .BAT file (batch file) with Backup Exec to execute a commands after the job completes.

Dunston_Paul
Level 3

Thanks for the reply.

I am aware of the Pre/Post commands within backup exec but with TASKKILL, wouldnt i need the PID which changes each day?

Thanks

Dunston_Paul
Level 3

Oh wait i have done a lookup, i see IM is Image Name, Brilliant, I will give this a go tonight and see how it goes?

Thanks