cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email notification

Nigel_the_Nerd
Level 3

At the moment, yes. For most of the servers I have a weekly full and a daily incremental, then each of these jobs duplicates to tape once the write to disk has completed, and I currently have email notification on, so I 2 notifications per server per day. ( Spam city, I tell you!)  Of course once I have all the issuses sorted out I can turn off the emails and just do a visual check. Or if Symantec manage to set it up so I can produce a report that will tell me the server name, job name, and if it succeeded, failed or was rescheduled, I could set that up to run at 9:00 AM every morning, and that would save me the trouble! It is an area I need to put a bit more work into, but I have been flat out just getting backups running reliably to date so I haven't got any further with it!

14 REPLIES 14

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can run the BEMCLI cmdlet, Get-BEJobHistory to get a summary of your job status.  For example

Get-BEJobHistory | Where-Object {($_.StartTime -ge Get-Date.adddays(-1))}

to get the job history of all jobs started within the last 24 hours.

You can also send the result to yourself.  See my articles

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-send-bemcli-results-e-mails

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/preparing-your-powershell-environment-run-bemcli-and-scripts

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Or if Symantec manage to set it up so I can produce a report that will tell me the server name, job name, and if it succeeded, failed or was rescheduled, I could set that up to run at 9:00 AM every morning, and that would save me the trouble!

This is already available. Have a look at Job Summary report. Schedule the report to run daily @9 Am and add the reciepient sto the report job. 

Nigel_the_Nerd
Level 3

I did have a look at that report, but I wanted to modify it, I don't need the Job Statistics or the File Exceptions, and I wanted to make the "Job Name" Column wider, so it was easier to read. I couldn't find any option to modify it. And when I went into Custom Reports, I couldn't get one that would display one line per server, like this one does, it kept giving me multiple lines.

Thanks for the advice though.

Nigel_the_Nerd
Level 3

I'll have a look at that and see how it goes.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you want, you can pipe the result of the Get-BEJobHistory cmdlet to the Select-Object cmdlet and select the properties that you want.

VGupta
Level 3
Employee

Hi,

I work with Backup Exec engineering.

I was looking at your requirement and found below steps to create a custom report that may provide you consolidated data.

1. Create a custom report and  select ‘Job History’ as Category.
  2. Select the following fields – Server, Job Name, Status, Job Start Time, Job End Time.
  3. Increase the width of ‘Job Name’ as per your requirement.
  4. If you want to group your data by server: Under Grouping tab, Select ‘Server’ in ‘Group by’ dropdown.
  5. Save and Run the report.

Please do let me know if it serves your purpose.

Thanks,

Vivek Gupta

Nigel_the_Nerd
Level 3

I tried something like that before I blew away the server and reinstalled from scratch. It  gave me any where between 3 and 12 lines of report for each server, many of which were the same, I couldn't get it to just give me 1 line per server. On my current server I just tried that and got an error "Unable to insert the custom report", unknown reason 1726. with the details "Calling method 'InsertReportCustom' ", "BEMSDK Method 'CBemReportCustom.Insert' ", "BEMSDK Failure Code: 1726:X8"

Which is not entirely helpful.

Nigel_the_Nerd
Level 3

It threw the error because I am running Windows 2008R2, and it doesn't like programs inserting things into directories unless you right click the BE icon and run the program as administrator. I created the report, it is just taking a long time to run.

VGupta
Level 3
Employee

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

I am glad to know you found this report providing the information that you were looking for. Regarding execution time, please do let me know if you are still facing the issue.

Also please let me know if your original issue of email notification is solved by scheduling the report and adding the email recipients.

Thanks,

Vivek Gupta

Nigel_the_Nerd
Level 3

Hi Vivek,

That report still did not produce a useable output. I don't know what it looks at, but it DOES NOT give me one line per job. The line below was repeated, well, I gave up counting after 150 times, and that was not even a quarter of the way through the entries in the report for this job for this server. I'm guessing it totalled over 1000 entries.

\\JGMLFS01.JustGroup.Internal
jgmlfs01 System State Backup-JGMLFS01 System state Full to Disk
7/6/2012 7:02:20 PM
7/6/2012 7:06:50 PM

I would hazard a gues that it reports once per data increment in each backup set, and when you use the deduplication disk, the data increments are rather small, and if you have Terra bytes of data on your server, these it quickly becomes an unfeasible solution.

Why is it we can't copy and edit the stock reports?

Lesta_G
Level 6

Why is it we can't copy and edit the stock reports?

hahahahaha, been like that for years. don't expect it to change anytime soon.

I ended up hacking the stock report to suit my needs.

There is  a registry setting to suppress duplicates IIRC . at least in 2010 there was.....

VGupta
Level 3
Employee

Hi,

I have got the report and RDL file, and I am analysing them.

Thanks,

Vivek

VGupta
Level 3
Employee

Hi,

I have analysed the report sent by you. Please use the option which can restrict the duplicate entries. The steps to use the option are:

1. Click on Backup Exec icon (before Home button)
  2. Got to ‘Configuration and Settings’ and click on ‘Backup Exec Settings’
  3. Click on ‘Reports’ option and select ‘Show distinct rows’ radio button for ‘Report content’ field
  4. Click on ‘OK’ to apply this setting

Now on executing the custom report, it should not display identical entries.

Please let me know if it resolves your issue.

Thanks,

Vivek

Nigel_the_Nerd
Level 3

Thanks Vivek,

Once i got rid of the duplicates, then I could filter it to just get the last 1 day, and that is the report I want!!

Thanks for your help, that is terrific.