cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Encryption Keys - Verification and Pass Phrase Request

HMD
Not applicable

Anyone,

Creating the Encryption Key was no problem.  I rotate 4 weeks of tapes (20 total).  I do a test restore every week, but I have yet been asked to enter a pass phrase to perform the restore.  The restore just executes and finishes successfully without a security check.  Is this normal behavior because the pass phrase is part of the database and the tapes are already cataloged?

How can I tell if the encryption key is working, or that my tapes are being encrypted at all?

Allen Reed

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

teiva-boy
Level 6

Delete the key and try your restore again.  It will ask you then.

Alternatively, setup another BackupExec server, and try to import and catalog that tape.  It will ask for a key then as well.

You've entered the key, and it's still saved in the database so it's not being asked for.  Delete the key, or change it, and it will ask you when you try to restore.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

pruvn
Level 5

Hi experts,

I had the same problem. What should i do in this issue?

teiva-boy
Level 6

Delete the key and try your restore again.  It will ask you then.

Alternatively, setup another BackupExec server, and try to import and catalog that tape.  It will ask for a key then as well.

You've entered the key, and it's still saved in the database so it's not being asked for.  Delete the key, or change it, and it will ask you when you try to restore.

pruvn
Level 5

thanks teiva-boy,

I check it in next week. Thank you very much. But i using Net Backup 7.0. Any problem ?

pruvn

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This is not NBU forum. For BE, what teiva-boy said is right. For convenience, we store the encryption key in the database, so that we dont keep prompting for passphrase everytime you do a backup/restore, as long as you are the same person. You can make sure to create restricted key, if there are multiple users for the media server, so that only user who created the key can use it for backup/restore.

Thanks