Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Encryption Keys

J_Huggins
Level 6
Partner

Hi!

Greetings!

I'm finished upgrading my BE14 to BE15. My problem is..

I've forgot my Encryption Key, there is another possible way to gain another Encryption Key?

Hoping someone can help me in my problem.

Thanks in advance!

J.Huggs

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified
There is no way to recover the encryption key. You would need to create a new key to encrypt your new backups. Unfortunately you would not be able to access your old encrypted backup sets without the old encryption key. Not even Veritas can help you with this. If you have upgraded your BEDB, it week have the old encryption key in it and you can access your old encrypted backup sets. If you are using a new BEDB, then sorry

J_Huggins
Level 6
Partner

Hi pkh!

Greetings, How can I create a new key just like what you've said?

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Click on the BE button ---> Configuration and Settings ---> Backup Exec Settings ----> Network Settings

J_Huggins
Level 6
Partner

Hi!

Greetings!

I've already done creating new Encryption Keys, thanks for that. Now I'm getting confused of what path is this looking for? I dont see any path when I'm creating my Encryption Keys.

EK.jpg

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
This path is for you to export the encryption file for the BEDB. Sensitive tables in the BEDB are encrypted. Without this encryption file, you would not be able to use this BEDB if you want to use it on another machine or when you recover the media server. This is separate from your encryption key. Do read the Admin Guide for more details

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

There are two encryption keys types in Backup Exec

1) The Database Encryption Key (DEK) which you will need if you every need to re-install Backup Exec but continue using your existing database. After installing BE 15n the first time, the Home Page within Backup Exec will warn you to export the key. If you do not have the DEK then you may need to log a support case where we can provide some limited assistance to get at some of your existing database content but some of it you will have to manually recreate. This is also the key type that relates to the screenshot you posted.

2) Backup set encryption keys. There are are used in the Backup Jobs to Encrypt the backed up data. The keys themselves are held inside the BEDB and are part of the security information that is protected by the DEK. This keys are created using Passphrases so to restore from an encrypted set you either need the passphrases OR a fully accessible database that already contains the correct key (so may have need the DEK to get into the database).

This is why best practices is

1) Store all passphases and details of when and against what resources they are used somewhere safe (outside of Backup Exec and not with your backup sets)

2) Make sure you have a copy of the exported DEK

3) Regularly backuop your BEDB