cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of Support for Backup Exec Versions in 2019

Ovi_I
Level 4

Hello

I am working for a large company and i am in charge of all backups running Backup Exec.

Did become aware that from 2019 the software will be EOL, and i am wondering if did undestand this right, that version 16 is the last release and no other backup exec will be released afterwards.

I need this info, as we plan 5 years in advance and do no want to be caught in this situation.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Backup Exec 16 is NOT the last version it is just the current version - we do not confirm roadmaps and as such End Of Life documentation cannot state when BE 16 will be End-of-Life (EOL) or when a future version will be released

Our current policy is to support a version of BE until the next version is released or until we clearly state that a product has been discontinued (which we have NOT done for BE) - After a new version is released we will then continue to provide Standard Support of that older version for one year or the release of a 2nd new version (whichever time is shorter).  Following on from that 1 year, it is possible to purchase up to 2 further years of extended support where Tech Support (but not engineering level) assistance is still available.

Anyone on maintenance contracts when a new version is released are eligible to receive licenses for the new version so can upgrade (and extend their support lifecycle in the process) Basically this means as long as you maintain your maintenance you can remain supported just by upgrading when newer versions are released.

Definitions and the The EOL status  (including End of Standard Support / EOSS and End of Support Life / EOSL) dates for various Backup Exec versions are listed in the following document - please note BE 16 is listed in the table as TBD (To Be Decided) because it is the current version and therefore is not in an part of the End-of-Life process at this current time.

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000116356

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Colin_Weaver

Backup Exec 16 is NOT the last version it is just the current version - we do not confirm roadmaps and as such End Of Life documentation cannot state when BE 16 will be End-of-Life (EOL) or when a future version will be released

Our current policy is to support a version of BE until the next version is released or until we clearly state that a product has been discontinued (which we have NOT done for BE) - After a new version is released we will then continue to provide Standard Support of that older version for one year or the release of a 2nd new version (whichever time is shorter).  Following on from that 1 year, it is possible to purchase up to 2 further years of extended support where Tech Support (but not engineering level) assistance is still available.

Anyone on maintenance contracts when a new version is released are eligible to receive licenses for the new version so can upgrade (and extend their support lifecycle in the process) Basically this means as long as you maintain your maintenance you can remain supported just by upgrading when newer versions are released.

Definitions and the The EOL status  (including End of Standard Support / EOSS and End of Support Life / EOSL) dates for various Backup Exec versions are listed in the following document - please note BE 16 is listed in the table as TBD (To Be Decided) because it is the current version and therefore is not in an part of the End-of-Life process at this current time.

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000116356

I think i made myself misundestud. According to this article https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000116356 it sounds like version 16 will be the last released product.

So basicaly, is just an update on EOL and not an announcemt that Backup Exec will be discounted.

Thank you

Colin_Weaver

Hmm I can see the sentence that might be misleading (the title and the paragraph just above the table in the referenced article)  I will feed that back ..l thanks

Colin_Weaver

OK thanks for that article a case of ms-reporting

The Backup Exec 3600 appliance line (where we sold hardware with an OS and Backup Exec already installed) has been completely discontinued - Backup Exec itself has not.

You might find the following info useful:

Go to the Backup Exec Support pages

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/15047.html

Scroll down whilst looking at the side bar located on the right hand side

Eventually in this sidebar you will see a Version statement with a drop down below it. The drop down will default to the current version (16)  and just below the drop down is information about that release. If you change the drop down to an older version you will see the the End-of-Life information appears where BE 16 does not display this information because it is not yet subject to the End-of-Life process.

Thanks for the question. As Colin mentioned, the Support document shows end-of-support dates for prior versions of Backup Exec.

We've clarified the Support document: please refresh - https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000116356?

Please also see my response on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/veritas-backup-exec-alive-well-andy-spencer

thanks,
Andy

VLM1985
Level 1

I heard that Veritas was no longer working on Backup Exec from a Dell representative.  I contacted Dell to upgrade our tape library and mentioned that I use Backup Exec.  Dell advised me to start looking at other software as Backup Exec will not exist soon.

Hi

Please see the links relating to Veritas continued development of and support for Backup Exec in the post immediately above yours. I have pasted them below for simplicity. Backup Exec has a long, healthy roadmap continuing our extensive, market-leading support for physical and virtual environments as well as strong development into public cloud with direct, certified support for Microsoft Azure in addition to Amazon Web Services and Google Cloud.

We've clarified the Support document: please refresh - https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000116356?

Please also see this article on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/veritas-backup-exec-alive-well-andy-spencer

I hope this helps to clarify. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Many thanks

Barnaby Wood

Product Marketing, Backup Exec

All I can say is don't be driven by negative propaganda. If you really want to experience what we are working on for next release of Backup Exec, come join Customer and Partner Engagement Program, where you not only get to know what is being currently worked upon, but you can interact directly with the development team and influence their work with your valuable feedback.

Backup Exec has adopted Agile methodology of development and has delivered Backup Exec 15 and Backup Exec 16 using these methodologies. As you know regular customer feedback is central to the agile methodology of development so that better customer value be delivered, we have been interacting with 75+ customers/partners accross the geographies.

This has helped us deliver much appreciated content as part of feature packs itself rather than waiting for major releases and let me tell you we have learnt a lot and delivered better customer value using this learning. Some of the examples I quote here,

- 98% of customers we interacted with were not using search for restore, we eliminated the cataloging process during backup to deliver faster backups without impacting GRT restores at all using Instant GRT

- Instant Recovery we heard from Customers needed to survive server reboot for it to be deployed in production environment, which led us to deliver Instant Recovery 2.0 in BE 16 FP1

- Customers while interacting with us during Instant Recovery demos wanted to have some means to run a DR drill or check the sanity of their backups at the click of a button. We delivered Recovery Ready in BE 16 FP1

and so on. There are various other learnings which we have incorporated in the customer value we are delivering.

Experience these and help us improve in our knowledge of how the Backup Exec Enthusiasts use it, so that we deliver a better Backup Exec to you with each release. Join CPEP at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Customer_Partner_Engagement or write to Customer.Engagement@Veritas.com

Hi Colin,

I remember you've been very helpful in the past. I've just stumbled upong this thread while looking for Veritas forums to post my question and saw your name.

I'm testing a new 2012R2 hypervisor with 2 VMs that have SEP 12.1.6 before puting it into a production and for some reason am unable to run restore jobs with the SEP firewall component enabled on the VMs. I have BE 16 installed on the hypervisor and would like to know what are the UDP/TCP ports that I need to open on the VMs or BE16 components that need to be allowed through the firewall or what are best practises from your experience?

The backup jobs are running fine without any issues even with the SEP firewall on, but for a restore job to complete I have to always disable the SEP firewall component on the VMs.

Thanks

Colin_Weaver

All of the NDMP requirements have it be met against access to the remote agent running inside the VM - so defaults would be inbound port 10000 plus inbound range 1024-65535 (although this range is configurable) other than that I have not seen any specific queries with regards to SEP causing issues