Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Environement CASO unable to share storage dedup

jba
Level 4
Partner

Hi

I have a Backup exec Server CASO 2014 SP2 it's a VM with Server 2012 R2

The managed Backup exec Server 2014 SP2 on Server 2012 R2 it's a physical server Ibm X3400 M3

I can't share the dedup storage of MBES with the Backup exec server CAS

22 REPLIES 22

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...where are your catalogs located? Check the link below to understand catalog location in the CASO environment:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO23395

You might also be interested in the 2 links below relating to optimized dedupe:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/backup-exec-2014-technical-white-paper-optimized-du...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO74447

Thanks!

jba
Level 4
Partner

catalogs are distributed

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The Device & Media data should be kept on the CASO and not local to the MMS. What option was chosen while configuring the MMS ?

jba
Level 4
Partner

What are you call MMS?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

MMS / MBES - Managed Media Server.

jba
Level 4
Partner

Parts attached called option

CraigV

...CASO is not licensed. You need to license this (paid for), then run the CASO wizard to create a CASO server out of 1 of them...then set up Optimized Dedupe as per the docs I sent through.

Thanks!

jba
Level 4
Partner

I made another VM wtih Server 2012 SP2 and backup exec 2014 SP2

I can share dedup storage between the CAS and this MMS

so i will desinstall/install Backup exec on my first MMS( server physical)

jba
Level 4
Partner

the screenshot show option of the Managed Backup Exec server

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The Managed Server option is part of the base BE.  It does not need a seperate licence, but it is useless unless you have a CAS. To define a CAS, you need to purchase and install an ESO licence on one of the media server and then define it as a CAS.

jba
Level 4
Partner

On the mms I unchecked the option Agent Vmare and on the CASO I can share the dedup storage.

In the job i added a step duplication to the storage shared but the job stay queued since yesterday

CraigV

check to see if there are any pending Alerts and respond to them.

Thanks!

jba
Level 4
Partner

Hi

I started on new virtual machine and i uninstall Backup exec on the physical server.

So I have

Bkp21005: VM with Server 2012 R2, Backup Exec 2014 SP2 with CAS and no storage

Bkp21004: VM with Server 2012 R2, Managed Backup Exec 2014 SP2 and dedupe storage

Bkp21003:Physical Server with Server 2102 R2, Managed Backup Exec 2014  SP2 and dedupe storage

I would Bkp21004 backup data on his dedupe storage and duplicate this backup on storage Bkp21003

To do that you have to share dedup storage Bkp21003 with Bkp21004 but it does not work

jba
Level 4
Partner

now when i try to share dedup storage Bkp21003's with Bkp21004 I obtain 'no Backup Exec Deduplication Option licence is installed on Bkp21004'

jba
Level 4
Partner

on Bkp21004 deduplication option is installed

CraigV

...where are your catalogs located? Centrally on the CASO, or distributed on the MMS?

jba
Level 4
Partner

distributed on the MMS

jba
Level 4
Partner

Finally I can share dedup storage Bkp21003 with Bkp21004 Server and on Bkp21004 i made a job who does Deduplication to dedup storage Bkp21004's and Optimized Duplication to dedup storage Bkp21003's but after verify backup dedup it made another deduplication.

the job stay active and when i closed and open again the console, backup exec crash and show whitout stop  "Connect to localhost"

jba
Level 4
Partner

I will erase all server(Bkp21003, Bkp21004, Bkp21005).

Is it possible to uninstall Backup exec without losing backup sets and use them on the new backup exec ?

Thanks