cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Erase Media

cyclist
Not applicable
Hello,

I have just downloaded the trial version of 2010.  We are currently testing it to see what it can do vs our existing product.  I kicked off a large full backup, about 7TB, and the library ran out of space on the tapes.  I attempted to unlock it but it sat there as a job, waiting for the other jobs to finish, the other jobs couldn't finish because it was waiting for me to replace the tapes because they were full.  Eventually the backup failed, and the Unlock job ran.  I'm running into the same thing now with erasing the new media I'm bringing in.  Is this how backup exec works or is it a configuration issue on my part?

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2

teiva-boy
Level 6
 If a drive is in use, you will not be able to unlock/open a library, that is what I've always experienced on my ADIC and SpectraLogic libraries.  
I'm not sure if this is by design or not, but I def would not want the chance the library was opened as the robotic arm is moving...  That is one expensive mistake.

Generally, I just make sure I always have spare media in the library and assigned to my scratch media set, so that I dont run out of space.

What kind of issue are you running into with erasing tapes?  You cant do other library tasks?  

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I presume you have enabled the mailslot in your library.  If BE is prompting you for a new tape, it will unlock the mailslot.  You can just open the mailslot and put in a new tape.  There is no need to run an unlock job which will just queue behind the running job, as you have experienced.