cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 0x8004230f (2147754767) - VSS snapshot provider

Nicolas_Nickisc
Level 4

I get the error above when doing a backup of the BackupExec-Server itself.

It does not play a role, if I select the server from remote system list or directly.

The comments  for this error say, that it has something to do with the VMWare-tools.

Indeed, I must confess that the backupExec-Server is a virtual machine, running under ESXi and of course running VMWare-tools.

but , in contrary, it seems that I do not have BE snapshot oprovider on the machine, vssadmin lists only Microsoft snapshot provider.

So, I do not think that running the .bat-File can help me.

What can I do  then ?

5 REPLIES 5

w-d
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

There are couple of questions which I need to ask you:

- What is the Backup Exec version?

- What data are you backing up (filesystem, databases,...)?

- do you do GRT backup of VMware?

When you install Backup Exec Remote Agent on the virtual machine, it should uninstall VMware VSS provider as the BEVSSProvider is installed and being used. You will not see it on the vssadmin list providers unless you run this command while the backup is running.

Nicolas_Nickisc
Level 4

- It is BE 2010R3 with all updates

- I checked the top machine node under "All Resources", but excluded drive Z:

- VMWare GRT is de-activated for this job.

- I don't see that Remote agent is installed on this machine (it is THE BackupExec-Server). I sit even possible to install Remote agent  for the server itself ?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Indeed, I must confess that the backupExec-Server is a virtual machine, running under ESXi and of course running VMWare-tools.

1) If this VM is accessing real devices, then it is not a supported configuration.

2) The remote agent is installed when you install BE so you cannot re-install the remote agent in the VM.  This means that you will not have the BEVSSProvider, so you cannot have GRT.

If you want to backup this machine, then back it up as a physical machine.  There is no point in backing it up as a VM because if this machine is down, you have a chicken and an egg situation.  How are you going to restore this machine without a media server?

Nicolas_Nickisc
Level 4

Misunderstanding:

The machine IS backed up as a physical machine.

The backup seems to work until it comes to backing up System?State.

The backup was performed on a pass-throughed LTO-Drive. I will try to run the backup pointing to a B2D-"device"

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The backup was performed on a pass-throughed LTO-Drive. I will try to run the backup pointing to a B2D-"device"

As I said earlier, this is an unsupported configuration.