cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 0xE00095B4: What is required for a Hyper-V VM to support Incremental/Differential backup methods?

Sublaner
Level 4

Windows Server 2012 R2 host servers are members of a Server 2008 domain, hosted on of the servers. All guest VMs are Windows Server 2008 SP2. Backup Exec 2014 SP2 media servers are also on guest VMs, backups saved to local Backup to Disk drives in the virtual machines. Windows Agent installed and up to date on all host servers and guest VMs, Agent for Hyper-V is enabled. Backup targets are on different Hyper-V hosts. Hyper-V backups are set up individually for each VM though the Microsoft Hyper-V Host object. All Weekly Full backups run successfully, all Daily Differential backups fail with an exception now that I've turned off the option to "Use the full backup method for virtual machines that do not support incremental or differential backups". I don't have the space for a full backup every day.

Backup- VRTSRV::\\SRV0001G\Hyper-V?Virtual?Machine\SERVERABCD123

V-79-57344-38324 - Incremental\\Differential backup methods are not supported for this VM. The backup job failed, since the option 'to fall back to a full backup' was not selected.

My immediate question is, what is required for the VMs to support inc/diff backups, or looking at it the other way, what could make them incompatible? I am out of ideas. I have had a case open since last week, but the technicial keeps messaging me after I leave for the day, complaining that he cannot contact me!! I will repond to request for more information. Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sublaner
Level 4

<edited> This finally from Technical Support:

"I have been diligently looking through the gathered logs and our internal documentation and have found an issue with incremental/differential Hyper-V backups for Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V hosts that is currently under investigation. In some environments, the Symantec Differential/incremental backup method is having issues when attempting to access the AVHD file because it is referencing the snapshot file out of sequence. This issue has been fixed via code change in Backup Exec 15 which is currently in beta. Since this method is experiencing issues and we have been able to determine that the Microsoft Incremental method backup is functional, I would recommend configuring the Microsoft Incremental method backup until BE 15 releases. If you have any questions, concerns, or comments, do not hesitate to reply to this email with the same and I will do what I can to accommodate."

The engineer did not know "...exactly when General Availability will be for BE 15 but since it is currently in beta I would expect the release to be in 3 months or so. Again that is just a rough estimate but based on historical information, that would be the estimated timeline."

My case has been closed, we will continue evaluating with MS Incremental Backups for dailys. Not encouraging that BE is "already" going to a new major release, would have been nice to see it fixed in a Service Pack.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

lmosla
Level 6

Hi,

Have you checked over the Symantec Backup Exec Blueprints 
Blueprint for VMware 

yes, my mistake... Hyper-V as Colin posted

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Or even the Hyper-V one and maybe look at the Unsupported Disk Configurations section

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/sites/default/files/Symantec%20Backup%20Exec%202014%20Blueprints%20-%20Hyper-V.pdf

Sublaner
Level 4

... I should have mentioned, this is a development system, I am testing BE 2014 to replace BE 2010 as part of updating a harsh-environment software suite update. We are also replacing VWware with Hypter-V, so much of this is new to me.

Sublaner
Level 4

Thanks for pointing me to this again. I had saved some Blueprints offline, but not gone through them.

Departure from Best Practices: BE on Windows 2008 SP2, not R2, but apps are not in play for most VMs.

No Unsupported Disk Configurations.
No "Core Systems".
Disks for storing B2D media are VHDX over 2 TB, but none on the VMs I'm backing up. Anyway GRT not at issue.
Don't know if "Microsoft Method" of incremantal backups is enabled or not (probably not). HOWTO102609 says differentials cannot be used if it is enabled; my firewall won't let me download the .PS1 powershell scripts to dig in and see :(
Only one backup per virtual server.
Windows 2012 R2 updates will be a problem with this system not Internet connected. I will work on it.

Going through notes and logs I find I DID have two "good" differential backups a while back when I was setting up b/u jobs. The next day I changed the system time and time zone to local from GMT and had confilcts with NT domain and Hyper-V host times overwriting each other. I disabled Hyper-V INtegration Services Time Synchronization at that time to get things settled down, but differentials never worked after that day. It took me a while to see the correlation; I since returned time sync to baselinc config - "partially disabled" following http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2010/11/19/time-synchronization-in-hyper-v.aspx. However this did not fix the problem.

Sublaner
Level 4

Update... this problem persists. My support case has been open since 2/12 and escalated to its third engineer. Jeff has examined my mountains of help and debug logs and is trying (and so far failing!) to reproduce the condition in a test environment. So far all we have is access and thumbprint errors in the BE Data directories. Microsoft Incremental Backups (https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-2014-what-are-microsoft-incremental-backu... DO work on a virtual machine I enabled it for. We prefer differentials but that might be acceptable as an alternative.

Sublaner
Level 4

<edited> This finally from Technical Support:

"I have been diligently looking through the gathered logs and our internal documentation and have found an issue with incremental/differential Hyper-V backups for Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V hosts that is currently under investigation. In some environments, the Symantec Differential/incremental backup method is having issues when attempting to access the AVHD file because it is referencing the snapshot file out of sequence. This issue has been fixed via code change in Backup Exec 15 which is currently in beta. Since this method is experiencing issues and we have been able to determine that the Microsoft Incremental method backup is functional, I would recommend configuring the Microsoft Incremental method backup until BE 15 releases. If you have any questions, concerns, or comments, do not hesitate to reply to this email with the same and I will do what I can to accommodate."

The engineer did not know "...exactly when General Availability will be for BE 15 but since it is currently in beta I would expect the release to be in 3 months or so. Again that is just a rough estimate but based on historical information, that would be the estimated timeline."

My case has been closed, we will continue evaluating with MS Incremental Backups for dailys. Not encouraging that BE is "already" going to a new major release, would have been nice to see it fixed in a Service Pack.