cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 1065, Event ID 7001 & 7023, The database specified does not exist

Brant_Robinette
Level 3
I opened up support case 320-009-000 that explains a lot of the trouble I'm having but it was closed as I do not have a support contract. From a fresh install of Windows 2003 Server Enterprise and setting up the domain, Backup Exec will install just fine however the Backup Exec Device & Media Service will not start because it keeps reporting that the database specified does not exist (error 1065 if you try to start the service manually). Also logged is Event ID 7023 and 7001 at bootup when the server tries to start and when you try to start the service manually.

I've searched all the support forums and it seems that others are having this exact issue, without getting it resolved. I've tried installing the jet40sp3_comp.exe update as suggested in Document ID: 243497 (but the update will not install because it is much older than the service pack installed). So I tried installing the newest MDAC 2.8 Service Pack 1 installation but it will not install on Windows 2003 Server Enterprise. I've checked all my component files with component checker as suggested in various documents, as well as Document ID: 192441 and found that all files were matching or a more recent version. I've tested detaching and reattaching the database and verified it existed as suggested in Document ID: 274102. I've completely uninstalled Veritas and reinstalled, and also tried repairs as suggested in Document ID: 253199. I've also checked to see if the Microsoft Access Driver exists as suggest in Document ID: 240826. I seem to be in the exact same situation as these people:

http://forums.symantec.com/discussions/thread.jspa?messageID=4458039ط

Since we first installed this product, it has never been able to start the service and the program will not load. It'd be nice to have some sort of support other than email and forum when it involves a newly purchased product that will not work straight out of the box. The only thing I can think of is that it's something to do with Windows 2003 Server Enterprise edition and the MDAC 2.8 Service Pack 2 it uses which may be incompatible with Backup Exec. Unfortunately there is no way to install MDAC 2.8 Service Pack 1 on Windows 2003 Server Enterprise as it isn't compatible.
7 REPLIES 7

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

The device and media service connects to our BEDB database on starting and within its stipulated time period if it is not able to attach to the BEDB it will give this error message.

This could occur due to various reasons:

1) MSSQL$BKUPEXEC service is not running.
Make sure it is started and is running with the LSA

2) BESA Authentication issue while attaching to BEDB:

in local system account.

As an initial step put all BE services
Give full control to the system account in C drive and the BE installation directory

Make sure the the database files are not read only ( The list of database files can be found in the following TN http://support.veritas.com/docs/269835 )

Run Beutility and selected 'Change database access".
Add the user acct that the device and media service is logging in as and selected Grant access

http://library.veritas.com/docs/271634

Can also check for DCOM errors and give the required permission if required.

After changing the VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.x service account's password, the error "Database specified does not exist" may occur when starting the Backup Exec Device and Media Service.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/265051

3) The datapath is not correctly referenced in the registry

To resolve this issue navigate to HKLM|Software|VERITAS|Backup Exec|Engine|Misc|DataPath

and edit the path to the correct local path where the database files are located (default location is C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data)

Also check the following keys in BEWS 10.0

HKLM|Software|VERITAS|Backup Exec| BEDatabase.

HKLM\Software\Veritas\Adamm\Database

Thanks

Brant_Robinette
Level 3
1) MSSQL$BKCUPEXEC service is running just fine under the local system account.

2) The System Account has full rights to the C drive and all folders under, including the database folder. The database files are also archive, not read only.

3) This is where I found an error. The link to the support document you posted doesn't exist but I was able to find it with a search under http://support.veritas.com/docs/271634 . After following the steps and pressing grant access to the database, I don't get the same output as shown in figure 5 of that document which is database login "domain\user" for server "servername" completed. Instead I get:

Performing grant of login for BEDB database.
Error: Unable to grant or revoke the login.
Database login bahlburgexpl\administrator for server WIN2K3SRVA ended with errors.

I've checked for DCOM errors but there are none, besides the service error in the event log for the device and media service failing, the entire event log is clean as a whistle.

Also since it's a fresh installation no service username or passwords were changed, and the domain and netbios names have not changed at all.

3) All the registry keys checked out besides the last one:

HKLM\Software\Veritas\Adamm\Database

This key exists all the way to Adamm, but nothing underneath Adamm is listed as Database (I only have Enable RSM Support and FastServiceStart keys).

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

You may refer to the following technote to repair the Backup Exec database

How to run a Backup Exec database repair when the original Backup Exec database is found to be inconsistent

http://support.veritas.com/docs/265180

Thanks

Brant_Robinette
Level 3
Unfortunately I've tried that too, it results in:

Starting database repair.
Stopping Services
Stopping services for server:WIN2K3SRVA.
Server:WIN2K3SRVA, Service:BackupExecJobEngine stopped successfully or was not running.
Server:WIN2K3SRVA, Service:BackupExecRPCService stopped successfully or was not running.
Server:WIN2K3SRVA, Service:BackupExecDeviceMediaService stopped successfully or was not running.
Stopping services for server WIN2K3SRVA completed.
Performing repair for BEDB database.
Error: The data repair operation failed.
Starting Services
Database repair for server WIN2K3SRVA ended with errors.

I'm pretty much at wits end on this issue. It seems unresolvable as there are others in this forum with my exact same setup and also experiencing this issue without a solution. I'm hesitant to purchase support for this program as my customer has already paid $1000 for the software and agents, and it won't even work from a fresh install. Also since others who have Windows 2003 Enterprise that are experiencing this issue, it may be a design flaw that will need a patch to fix that hasn't been created yet. Hopefully I can get this working soon otherwise we will have to figure out how to return open licensing software.

Brant_Robinette
Level 3
Still no luck on this issue, I've tried everything I could find on the forums and throughout the internet. The only common factor that I seem to find with others having this issue is they are all using Windows 2003 Enterprise edition, so it's probably an actual design flaw in the program that will need a patch.

I'm really upset that a $1000 program will not work straight out of the box. What is also worse is that when I ordered the program through our distributor (Tech Data) they failed to mention anything about support being a separately purchased upgrade. We've ordered this in the past for other customers and the support was always included. In fact, we recently ordered another copy for another customer and support was an additional $22 on top of the copy we originally purchased. I don't know what the hell Tech Data sold us without having support included, but now I'm at the point I'll have to purchase support separately which I'm assuming will be a few hundred dollars.

What is really despicable is having a support forum and email support only for programs without users paying a higher fee. Where else could you go buy things in this world that absolutely didn't work and the only responses you got were on a public forum or email (which email support is simply a mirrored response from the forum posts and knowledge base articles, all which aren't actually troubleshooting but rather just links to past problems that "may" be related to what problems I'm having). I'm sure it makes sense budget wise for Symantec to have other program users support other users of the very same product they purchased, but that's just pitiful business practice.

Richard_Berndt
Level 3
Can you verify that MSDE is installed on the BackupExec Server? Under Add/Remove Programs it will be listes as something like MSSQL$BCKUPEXEC.Message was edited by:
Richard Berndt

Brant_Robinette
Level 3
I've never seen MSSQL$BKUPEXEC inside of Add/Remove Programs, not even on servers that I've had Backup Exec 10d working on. However, the MSSQL$BKUPEXEC service was installed and is currently "Started" inside the services console. I can also mount and dismount the database, as I've shown to have done in the above posts.