cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error - Backup Exec

RobinBerg
Level 3
 Hi,

I have a Dell PowerEdge 1600SC server, with a DLT1 drive.  The drive recently failed and a new one was installed by a Dell Engineer.  Ever since the new drive has been installed the backup excec job will not start properly.  The job starts then sits with the message pre-processing and will not continue.  You are not able to cancel the job or the backupexec services.  the only way to cancel is to re-boot the server.  Dell advised me to upgrade backupexec 9.0 to 9.1 which I have done yesterday but still get the same message.  I then attempted to run the backup job not using the open file agent and the job runs fine.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing this.

Thank you
8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Robin,

Generally with a tape drive replacement, you should run an install of the BEWS drivers again. It is quite possible that they are using Windows drivers again.
I'd suggest running the device configuration wizard and then restart your services. Once done, try a backup again.

Laters!

Hobbs
Level 4
 open devices - locate the OLD tape drive > right click and remove
run the device setup wizard again
restart the Backup Exec Services

job done

Ben

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
As well as re-instyalling the drivers you might find the jobs are still targetting references to the old drive (which will be offline) hence the jobs go queued. So re-target the jobs to the new drive details.

RobinBerg
Level 3
 Hi Ben -
I had already removed the old tape drive and added the new one.  I then renamed the new tape drive to be the same name as the old one.

Hi Colin - 
Installing drivers also didn't help

Any other suggestions?

Hobbs
Level 4
 Hi,
In the properties of the backup job change the device name to be the NEW device name and NOT first available device and remove and reinstall the tape drive and LET IT take a different name thus not causing any duplicate device name errors in the database.
What version of BE are you running?

Ben

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You can try re-installing the tape drive using the tapeinst.exe program.  This is normally located at the BE install directory, typically

C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec

1) Stop all the BE services

2) run the tapeinst.exe.  It will list any obsolete tape drives and allow you to delete them, then it will allow to install new ones.

3) Start all the BE services

RobinBerg
Level 3
 Tried all your suggestions, but still no luck ;-(. Thanks anyways

SystemsAdminAS
Level 5
Robin,

I had a similar issue with our LTO4 drive - I had updated drivers to the Microsoft-supplied drivers via Windows Update, and backups were failing until I corrected it.  However, rolling back the driver did not work - I had to uninstall and reinstall the drive using the originally supplied drivers for the unit.  Drive was uninstalled, machine rebooted, and reinstalled using OEM disc.