cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Backup Microsoft Mailboxes Backup Exec 11DHI

robertmueller
Level 4

Hi,

I still do an extra Backup of Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes. Suddenly and without changing any credentials I can not backup the single mailboxes. Store Backup goes through without a problem. If I try to check the cedentials that backup exec uses I allways get the message rejected, no matter with what account I try to access the mailboxes. See Screenshot. I do have a second exchange server with the same settings, there is no problem. Why for some reason backp exec is not able anymore to access the mailboxes.

I get error 0xe000848c or v-79-57344-33932 but can not find anything in these documents.

9 REPLIES 9

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Make sure the account used for backup is active and not hidden from GAL. Instead of backing u individual mailbox would suggest you to backup using GRT Granular restore technology (this will allow you to restore mailboxes from your store backup and it would save you time as non-grt backup take a long time to run)

robertmueller
Level 4

Hi Rahul,

thank you for you promt reply. I allready went through the documents regarding this issue. the account is not hidden from the GAL. It is strange because it was working for years without a problem. Nothing was done to the rights.

On my second Backup Server BackupExec 11D I did a backup of the exchange server 2003 with GRT. The backup (Backup on disk) went through without a problem. When tested the restore of some E-Mails to the same Mailbox where I did the backup from, the restore fails imediatly with the following error:

Auftrag beendet am Donnerstag, 5. Mai 2011 um 12:49:53
Abschlussstatus: Fehlgeschlagen
Endgültiger Fehler: 0xe000848c - Verbinden mit einer Ressource nicht möglich. Stellen Sie sicher, dass alle ausgewählten Ressourcen vorhanden und online sind, und versuchen Sie es erneut.
Endgültige Fehlerkategorie: Ressourcenfehler

Zusätzliche Informationen zu diesem Fehler finden Sie unter der Verknüpfung V-79-57344-33932

I looked again through all documents but could not find anything that would resolve the issue.

Do you have any idea?

Thanks for you assistance

Juergen

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Did you check this:

Before restoring a mailbox or a mail message, a verify/edit the following:

1. Check that there is sufficient disk space available for staging the Information store (Backup Exec will stage the entire Exchange Information Store before restoring any individual items.)

2. The default location for temporary files is: C:\Temp. This needs to be changed to the drive with the most space available.  To change the Global staging location, select "Tools | Options | Restore | Path on media server for staging temporary restore data".  To change the staging location in the restore job, edit the"Advanced" properties "Path on the NTFS volume that is local to the media server for temporary storage of restore data"

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

This mostly a permission related issue the account used for backup should have the following rights

1. Should be Domin admin

2. Exchange full administrator

3. Should have send as and receive as rights on all mailboxes

4. the mailbox for the backup account should be unique .. the name should not match with any other account in the domain

5. the account should not be hidden which you have already checked .

robertmueller
Level 4

Thank you for your promt reply,

I went through the permisions again. The backupexec acount has all the permisions needed. I do have a second exchange server in the same domain, there are no problems.

I do not have any problems to backup the information store, it is just with the backup of the mailboxes and public folders.

Is there any way to find out why this happens suddenly.

Thanks

Juergen

robertmueller
Level 4

Thank you for your reply.

I changed the global staging  location to f:\temp where there is enough space and also the "temporary storage for restore data. But the problem is still there. allmost immediatly the job fails.

The other question I have since I went through the settings. The will be nothing done to my online store, right? I just want to restore a couple of e-mails. I am just afraid the the exchange server will be put to offline etc.

Thanks

Juergen

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Try the following

Go to tools-- options --MS exchange -- Check the box to enable legacy mailbox support .Once you have dont this open your  selections and see if you have expand individual mailbox ... If the permissions are ok it should allow you to select individual mailbox.

When you run A GRt backup to disk , The exchange database are backed up in native format and selection list is generated on the fly as you have the Db in native format ... If you run the same backup to Tape BE would backup the exchange db file 1st and then using Mapi it would write the catalog information to tape ..

During the Restore from the tape , it stages the exchange backup set to temp location , where as during restore from a backup which is on disk it does not need to stage data .

So when you are running the restore it used MAPI to restore the emails to the users mailbox , so here it need proper permissions to proceed with restore .wheres when during the backup to disk it does not uses MAPI so the backup goes successful ..

Incase if I am not clear Please refer the following document

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/understanding-grt-backup-and-restore-functionality-...

You can probably try to create a new account give all the rights and permission and see if the restore works

robertmueller
Level 4

Thank you for you reply. I tried different admin accounts and allways was the same problem. On the weekend had time to restart the exchange server and then it worked again. Wonder what that was ?

Both the backup and the GRT restore are working.

Thanks a lot for you help.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Well it would be MAPIwhich would be causing the issue with  restore not to work and rebooting the server have resolved the MAPI related issue on the server.