cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Code E00084EC

Morph27
Level 4
I have Backup Exec Starter Edition 12.5 with SP3 installed running on Windows Server 2003. This software comes with a purchase of an LTO3 tape drive. I have done 2 full backups but both of them failed with an error code E00084EC. What does the code mean?

Backup started out fine but after running for 7 hours, it stops with the above error code. I do get "Tape drive needs cleaning" in the event log. I've cleaned the drive twice but backup still fails. What else should I do? Btw, this is a SCSI tape drive connected to an add-on Adaptec SCSI card. There's only 1 device (tape drive) in the channel.
9 REPLIES 9

JoaoMatos
Level 6
Partner
HI Morph,

It seems to be an hw issue
How old are your tapes and tape dirve?
Do you have last Symantec drives and updates?
If you have another Scsi card try to test with it, or if possible install de current Scsi card on another slot.
What happens when you run a backup to disk?

Regards,

JoaoMatos

Morph27
Level 4

Thanks JoaoMatos for your reply. This is a new tape drive. I'm using a driver from the tape manufacturer, Quantum. The tape itself is brand new but I believe the drive may be a refurbished drive. LiveUpdate doesn't pickup any new updates so I guess I have the latest.

No, I don't have another SCSI card, channel or slot for testing purpose. What is weird is that ntbackup completes successfully.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You should try the Symantec drivers for the tape drive.  If it demands to be cleaned, replace the tape drive

Backup1
Not applicable

Definitely sounds like the tape drive is defective. Double check to see if it actually is a new drive or a refurbished one. I was running into the same issue using an HP LTO3 tape drive in a OVERLAND ArchVault12. I used about 3 different cleaning tapes with NO LUCK. Whoever the manufacture is, check if they have any diagnostic software tools to check the drive. I used the HP Storageworks Library and Tape Tools 4.10. Ended up helping alot. I also had a spare single Dell powervault tape drive that I used for testing to verify the hardware issue. Once OVERLAND came out to replace the drive, its been working since. The only issue im having now is the full backup jobs seem to take longer. I've never had any luck using the symantec device drivers but you can try that if you'd like. I'm using Backupexec 12 SP4.

Hope this helps!.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
This is also my experience with my LTO4 tape drive.  It gave a lot of read/write errors and demanded to be cleaned.  As I am still in the warranty period, I got the tape drive replaced and the problems disappeared.  I am still using the tapes that gave errors without any further problems.

Morph27
Level 4
Thank you all for your response. I took me a few days to post a follow up because I was doing some tests. I updated my SCSI driver to the latest version and made sure the tape device driver is also the latest (Quantum device driver).

I did a full backup test on Monday morning, using NTBACKUP. Backup completed without any problem. I got about 400GB of data in that  same LTO3 tape that I use with BackupExec.

After the test, I scheduled another backup with BackupExec 12.5 to start at 8:00 pm, using the same tape. It fails again in about 7 hours with the same error message. This can't be the tape or the drive. Why do I get successful backup with NTBACKUP but fail backups with BackupExec?

Here's the backup log:

Job ended: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 at 3:35:25 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084ec - A tape read/write error has occurred.  This is usually caused by dirty read/write heads in the tape drive.  Clean the tape drive, and then try the job again.  If the problem persists, try a different tape.  You may also need to check for problems with cables, termination, or other hardware issues.
Final error category: Backup Media Errors

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Try using the Symantec driver. 

1)  Go to Tools ---> Wizards ---> Device Configuration Wizard to install the Symantec driver.

2) power off both the tape drive and the server

3) power on the tape drive

4) power on the server

Check the Windows Device Manager and see that the tape is using a Symantec driver.

Try your backup again.

Morph27
Level 4
Thanks. I've just replaced Quantum tape device driver with Symantec tape driver and power cycled the server + tape exactly as suggested. I've verified the tape device driver in Device Manager. It's using Symantec driver.

I'll have to sit back now and wait till tomorrow morning to see the result. I hope this is it. I haven't seen 1 successful backup since I installed both the hardware and BackupExec software. I'm tired of seeing all failed backups.

Morph27
Level 4
Just as I was afraid, last night backup failed with the same error message. What's weird is that it fails after running for about 7 hours and backing up about 360GB of data. It doesn't fail immediately after backup starts running. I am going to purchase LTO3 tapes, in case this one is faulty.

In the meantime, I want to test it again with NTBACKUP but this time NTBACKUP can't see the tape. It looks like BackupExec has claimed an exclusive use of the tape drive.