cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error V-79-100000-11223 VSS Snapshot Error

SBE_User
Level 4

I am using Backup Exec 2014 - Server Version is 14.1 Rev. 1786 (64 Bit)

I created a backup job on a new server with the standard Full/Incremental backup set.

I did *not* select the Snapshot Option - that tab is completely blank.

When I run the job, I get:

- Snapshot Technology: Initialization failure on: "\\IGSBACEBGS017.gs.doi.net\Shadow?Copy?Components". Snapshot technology used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

V-79-10000-11223 - VSS Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot technology that you selected cannot snap this volume.  Some reasons for this could be:

- The snapshot provider that you selected does not support the volume that you are trying to snap.  Try selecting the default snapshot provider, and then run the job again.

-A disk with a size greater than 63 terabytes or a 4K sector disk may exist on your computer. These types of disks can cause VSS to stop unexpectedly when it creates snapshot

This server is 72 Terrabytes (native) but with formatting and RAID it shows as a 60 TB drive.

The sector size is the standard 512.

How can I back up my share?  Doesn't Symantec Backup Exec work on large drives?  Why does it try to force the snapshot option even though it is not selected?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SBE_User
Level 4

If anyone's interested - I just split my 60TB drive into 2 30TB drives.  Now SBE plays nice with it.

Maybe time to look for a new backup solution....

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

As we are recording a VSS error have you looked at the Windows (System and Application) Event logs for VSS errors.

Basically Backup Exec uses VSS but, apart from inside a VMware VM, everything else to do with VSS comes from the OS or Server Hardware vendors and the messages would therefore be in the event logs

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You mentioned share.  How is this disk connected to the media server?

Have you tried turning on AOF and selecting the Microsoft provider (third option)?

BackupDawg
Level 4

(Its a microsoft issue!!!) Ha ha.

One of the Veritas engineers sent me a possible registry link fix, but I've lost it now. If I find it Ill paste it in.

SBE_User
Level 4

If anyone's interested - I just split my 60TB drive into 2 30TB drives.  Now SBE plays nice with it.

Maybe time to look for a new backup solution....

Any chance that you found that registry file?