cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error: VSS snapshot already running on the target computer

bino85
Level 3

Hi all,

We recently started receving the following error for a hyper-v backup. 

V-79-10000-11233 - VSS Snapshot error. A Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot is already running on the target computer. Only one snapshot can run at a time.  Try running the job later.

I know there are various reason that may cause this issue. I thought Id start with the easy things first. This morning I went in to restart the volume shadow copy service and I noticed in the services panel the service was shown as started but the controls show it was off as shown below.

I was able to restart the service without any problem. With that said, since the shadow copy service startup type is set to manual, is the service suppose to be off and only triggered when backup exec fires the backup job?

shad.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This service should be set to manual startup and not running. It's to be invoked during the backup.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Colin_Weaver

Open a command prompt and type in

vssadmin list writers 

If any of the writers are not marked as stable you may need to reboot that server to clean them up

bino85
Level 3

Yeah I checked the writers. No errors that I can see.

writers.jpg

bino85
Level 3

My question is related the status of the volume shadow copy service. I restarted it and its in a run state currently but its a manual process. Is the normal state that the volume shadow copy service be running (started) OR after I restated it should I turn it off with the expectation that the backup initiates the process?

VJware
Level 6

This service should be set to manual startup and not running. It's to be invoked during the backup.

bino85
Level 3

Thank you VJWare