cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error e00002fe - Cannot log on to MAPI. BE 2010 / Exchange 2003

sevans801
Level 3

Ive exhausted every forum artcile that I can come across still with no resolve.

We are in the process of configuring our new BackupExec 2010 server. Trying to backup our Exchange 2003 environment to disk on the media server (BE server). This always worked in our BE 10d environment so it boggles me now why it wont.

Scenario is, Exchange Backup (just Info Store using GRT) runs, verfies, then prompts with the Error that it cannot log on to MAPI.

We have done the following things to try and resolve:

• Sub Account with full rights created and used for backup job. Couldnt add in LOCAL ADMIN GROUP as Exchange server is also domain controller.
  • LiveUpdates applied to BE server
  • Exchange 2003 updates applied. Brought CDO (6.5.7654.12) and MAPI (6.5.7654.12) versions to those from 11/2008. Havent rebooted since this update. Waiting to do so
  • Recreated backup job and selection lists
  • Ran backup without verify
  • Uninstalled Outlook from Exchange server
  • Installed Outlook to BE server

Any ideas?

Hoping to reboot so that updates are applied to Exchange server shortly. These updates brought the MAPI from a version in 2005 to those issued in 2008.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sevans801
Level 3

Well we got this figured out...

After applying all the hotfixes and any Exchange updates we were missing....UNCHECKING the GRT option did the trick. Information Store can backup and verify without issue. We have run about 4 days worth of backups now without a failure.

I would rather have GRT enabled, but perhaps there is some type of limitation between GRT and Exchange 2003 Information Stores?

I will worry about having GRT enabled for when we upgrade to Exchange 2010 sometime in the near future.

For now i will do a GRT-less Information Store backup and a seperate backup for Exchange Legacy Mailboxes..

thanks all for the help

steve

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Make sure that the BESA is not hidden in Global address list. 

sevans801
Level 3

BESA is visible.

• GAL visible
  • Exchange Full Admin Rights
  • Mailbox created, used
  • Domain Admin credentials

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

Got this a couple of weeks ago randomly (VERY!) on 4 of my backup servers. I reset the password to the same password that the BESA was using on the site's local DC, and the problem was resolved at the next backup.

Laters!

sevans801
Level 3

which password did you reset?

sevans801
Level 3

I just reset the BESA password...going to give the backup process another whirl.

im still looking for a window to reboot my exchange server. most likely wont happen till this evening.

sevans801
Level 3

Should the BESA account be the Logon Account for both the Exchange Server and First Storage Group?

Thats what I have it set to currently for this test procedure.

sevans801
Level 3

password reset didnt work.

will update once i reboot exchange and try again.

RRE
Level 6

HI there,

On the media server , go to Network ----- logon a/c & check the a/c used for backing up exchange . For the timebeing make it the default logon a/c

Go to tool ----- options ------ microsoft exchange & select enable "legacy mailbox"

Open a new backup job , expand the exchange server & above microsoft IS , you will see a new selection call "Exchange Database" . Try to expand it & check if you are able to see individual mailboxes. If no , then you need to work on the a/c 

If yes 

You need to check your mapi functionality on the the Exchange server using MFCmapi

Download it from the following site

http://mfcmapi.codeplex.com/releases/view/30193

How to use it to test the functionality

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH53597

sevans801
Level 3

If i enable legacy mailboxes, i can see all of the individual items under the various Exchange selections (mailboxes, public folders, etc.)  I can view this using both the BESA account and Main Exchange Admin account (domain admin).

I downloaded the MFCMAPI tool and read the release notes, but im not sure how to see if indeed the MAPI install is flawed. I can connect to various mailboxes and stores using the tool.

Reboot my Exchange server after loading some windows updates, still no resolve. After backup runs and verify step I get the MAPI error Job Failed window.

Right now i changed my credentials back from the BESA to the Domain/Exchange main admin account. Running the task again.

I think my step after that is to see if the legacy individual mailboxes backup rather then backing up the whole info store. Id rather not do this going forward for emergancy restore reasons, but just as a test illl run it.

any other ideas?

I read that if MAPI is corrupt on the exchange server I would have to reinstall Exchange? Im considering that NOT an option.

sevans801
Level 3

anybody have any other suggestions?
waiting on my support license to show up so I can call Symantec.

For now I have resorted to legacy mailbox backups using BE with backup to disk...speed is 100mb per second, whats up with that?

When i backed up the Information Store, albeit the MAPI error, it was going at 3 GB per second.....

sevans801
Level 3

I think I narrowed down the problem.

I cant create the BE logon Account I am using as a member of the Exchange Servers LOCAL ADMIN GROUP…so pretty much the machines LOCAL ADMIN group.

Reason being, the Exchange server is also a domain controller ( yes I know, tisk tisk)….and when active directory is installed, im under the impression it removes the option to add local users / groups….

Thoughts?

reason i think this is because after exhausting countless KB artciles on Symantec and other websites..when checking the job log of BE it shows"

Resource Errors:

Resource: \\MachineName.Domain.Local\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group

Logon As: BESAName

Error: e00002Fe

so its basically showing me that hte logon name is trying to access the local machine and the information store.

sevans801
Level 3

im thinking i may have hit the wall...my end solution may be to continue backing up exchange with our symantec 10d product...and use symantec 2010 for everything else..

ugh..hate to do that....but it is what it is...if anyone is out there, help would be great.

CraigV

...I will escalate for you! Please let us know if someone from support got hold of you in the next couple of days...

sevans801
Level 3

Craig, thank you.

I just installed the MAPI/CDO microsoft update on the media server thinking that the media server needs some way of transport to the exchange server.

shot in the dark...going to try backing up now.

sevans801
Level 3

Now on my media server (win 2k8 r2) i see Messaging API and Collaboration Data Ojects 1.2.1 on the program listing...Version 6.5.8190.0

I dont see anything like this on my Exchange 2003 (w2k3 sp2) server...Am i to assume I wont because MAPI and CDO was included in the Exchange 2003 installation?

CraigV

Not too sure on that, but I DO know MAPI and CDO aren't required to back up Exchange 2003!

sevans801
Level 3

yeah it didnt make a difference.......no resolve still...But my 12d server does backup all the files, SQL databases on other servers, etc. So its working fine, just an issue with email.

but riddle me this, if MAPI and CDO arent required to backup Exchange 2003, then why do I get a MAPI error when i do so (cannot log on to MAPI)??

my Symantec BE 10d server NEVER had an issue backing up my Exchange 2003 server, but the Symantec 12d (2010) does....I checked on the old Symantec server and I would just use the system logon account to backup Exchange, nothing fancy. There has to be an option in BE 2010 that I have checked which is incompatabile with Exchange 2003....Let me list you the options that I have selected:

Resource Credentials: System Logon Account...ive tried a BESA account as well.

Resource Order: First Storage Group (thats it, only one storage group, one backup item)

AOFO: NOT CHECKED

Microsoft Exchange:

• Full - Database & Logs (flush committed logs)
  • Use Backup Exec Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) - CHECKED
  • Perform Consistency Check before backup - CHECKED
  • Continue with backup if consistency check fails - CHECKED
  • High Availability Server - Let Backup Exec automatically choose the best copy to back up  (this is for EX 2007 or later, so this really doesnt apply)
  • Mailbox Backups - Backup Method - Full - Backup messages - Reset Archive Bit (this is for when backing up individual legacy mailboxes, which in this case I am not selecting any)
  • Enable Single Instance Backup for Message Attachments - NOT CHECKED (applicable for legacy mailbox backup, not info store only)

thats about the gist of it....

Help?!

sevans801
Level 3

Well we got this figured out...

After applying all the hotfixes and any Exchange updates we were missing....UNCHECKING the GRT option did the trick. Information Store can backup and verify without issue. We have run about 4 days worth of backups now without a failure.

I would rather have GRT enabled, but perhaps there is some type of limitation between GRT and Exchange 2003 Information Stores?

I will worry about having GRT enabled for when we upgrade to Exchange 2010 sometime in the near future.

For now i will do a GRT-less Information Store backup and a seperate backup for Exchange Legacy Mailboxes..

thanks all for the help

steve