cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error e0008821 Mount failed a system shutdown is in progress

rocksuitcase
Level 3

Hello,

system: Dell Poweredge 840, Windows Server 2003 SBS SP2, 4 GB RAM running Exchange Server, SEPM management server, basic file and print sharing.

Issue: We are using BackupExec 12.5 with B2D folders going to external hard drives using USB connections. While a *new* setup, the configuration had been running 100% successful for the first three weeks.  Three failures are noted: 1] On 11/26/11 at 4:01:19 AM error e000fe30 A communications failure has occurred; Server errors. on 11/27/11 I was forced to reboot the server as it was completely fozen; CTRL-ALT-DEL did not respond, so I had to shut down using the power button. on restart, everything  "appeared" to work properly; after the this, the below Eveent ID 6008 showed up; there was no actual attempt by me to shutdown on 11/26/11.

2] On 11/28/11 the backup was "queued" for almost 8 hours and there was nothing to do except restart backup exec services, which failed the job with the above error code: E0008821, the job log claimed it was unable to be written to and would dsiplay in text only. The text reads:

Drive and media mount requested 11/28/2011 11:00:01 PM; Error mount failed. A system shutdown is in progress.

3] this also happened 11/30/2011 with the exact same error cdes and sequence where it would only display the log in text format. The below error did not show up yet for this date as it did for the 11/26 failure which leads me to believe either thay are not related, OR the first failure caused the other two failures.

Final clue: after the 11/28 failure, we manually ran the same backup job using "run no" and it ran successfully. today, I did the same thing and the job is currently running apperaing to be "normal".

REF #1 above; The Windows event system log reports:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: EventLog
Event Category: None
Event ID: 6008
Date:  11/27/2011
Time:  4:21:25 PM
User:  N/A
Computer: SS01
Description:
The previous system shutdown at 1:10:59 AM on 11/26/2011 was unexpected.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: db 07 0b 00 06 00 1a 00   Û.......
0008: 01 00 0a 00 3b 00 0f 01   ....;...
0010: db 07 0b 00 06 00 1a 00   Û.......
0018: 06 00 0a 00 3b 00 0f 01   ....;...

I have found two Symantec articles which are linked to here:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH64501   this server's inital configuration used a slipstream disc.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH74256&actp=search&viewlocale=en_U...

each of the links are related, but not with the exact same sequence of errors/events which I am observing. Any ideas or direction to links/solutions would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

Joshua_Kane
Level 6
Employee

The "paused" device/job would tell me that there was a communication error along the USB Bus.  If you look in the event log are you seeing any warnings or errors related to the USB Bus?

rocksuitcase
Level 3

Joshua,

there is nothing in the System logs indicating any specific USB errors. In fact, the only errors or warnings that follow these B2D failures, is the backup exec error when the job fails, nothing related to the disks or USB controllers etc.

there is a new error: 0xe00084AF, which came up 12/15/11 after seemingly backing up the entire selection list (the final byte count is just a few less than the previous days.), it failed with that error. Symantec references this paper for that error code: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH87926&actp=search&viewlocale=en_U...

However, we are not getting the Event ID 55 error.

I'm almost certain this relates to the fact that my B2D folders are in the "Backup to Disk folders section, and NOT the Removable Backup to Disk folders section. Secondly, I'm sure it is not recognizing the drives without a restart of Backup Exec Services because we are unable to "safely remove" these drives as when we try, we get told the drive is "in use" and can't be removed. We tried shutting down BE services, then removing, no go. We also tried shutting down other drive related serfices (RPC, etc) and still could not remove the drives "safely".

I am calling Symantec today or Monday to work on this and set up a support ticket.

thanks for your reply

rocksuitcase
Level 3

Anyone have any ideas on this one? I never called support as I have had no time to do it and I have been using the restart Backup exec services each night (manually) which is a valid workaround.

Should I be setting up Removable Backup to disk folders?