cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error e000e020 - Missed Backup Job

Westminster
Not applicable
I am getting a peculiar error that has begun to occur after the switch to BST.

I have read article 280002 thank you.

As an example, one of the jobs that have failed is set up with a time window of 18:00:00 to 20:59:59, surely satisfying the requirements in the above article. The schedule is set to recurring Days of the Month and the 2nd is selected.

The time window does not coincide with any other job. No other job was running at the time, manual or scheduled. The devices and media were available and online.

The error is described as
Error             : e000e020 - The job was scheduled to run, but the availability window closed before the job could start. There may not have been any destination devices available during the window, or the job may have been submitted to run when the window was closed.

The job Summary Information is as follows:
Original start time : Wednesday, April 02, 2008 7:00:00 PM
Job started : Wednesday, April 02, 2008 6:00:01 PM

Job History records the start time as above and the end time as 4/2/2008 6:00:01 PM

I am confused. Where did it get that original start time? A logical explanation would be nice.

Message Edited by Westminster on 04-04-2008 03:57 AM
4 REPLIES 4

Tony_Morrissey
Level 4
BE 12.5 SP2 (and about 5+ hotfixes):

As in the above post, BST time auto changed on my server this weekend and some of the jobs have subsequently been missed with error:

e000e020 - The job was scheduled to run, but the availability window closed before the job could start. There may not have been any destination devices available during the window, or the job may have been submitted to run when the window was closed.

Also as in the above case, over the past 2 days since the time has changed (devices where available), 2 TAPE backup jobs have failed (e000e020), 2 disk backup jobs have failed. The jobs start at the scheduled time and fail within seconds even when no other jobs are running simultaneously for disk backups. Also please note in all cases there was no issue with availability windows etc. I have rebooted the server and hope this cures the problem.

I've had a look at http://support.veritas.com/docs/305909 which is similar issue related to BE 11 <> 12.5, however it's not the first job that's failed after DST change but, over a 2 day period about 3 jobs have have failed e000e020 (missed). I do run time windows for start of jobs but non where exceeded. These jobs where fine before DST change.

I will not be able to check in on this case until next week 2/11/09.....

Anyone else seeing this?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
What happens is the start time for the job is set at the end of the previous running - and it is hard set (it is not stored as UTC + Offset detail).  Unfortunately the Time Window for the job itself is stored as UTC + the offset so you can see that the Next start time and the time window can move apart - which will only happen when the DST change kicks in. At which point it is possible for the hardset time t0o be outside of the DST applied (or not applied) time window for the job. Once the missed job status is reached it should reschedule the job and it shoudl corrcet iself as the timezone change has already happened, likewise re-running the missed job - shoudl fiox it as when this re-run finishes it shoudl reschedule the next job agains correcting the issue.

The specific job that is affected is kind of dependent on whether it is the start or end of DST and your specific time window and restart interval settings in your jobs - so you might be experiencing a combination of factors that has not been experienced by the team that wrote the Technote (305909)

Tony_Morrissey
Level 4
BE 12.5 SP3 upgraded from 11d.

DST:
When local standard time is about to reach
Sunday, 28 March 2010, 01:00:00 clocks are turned forward 1 hour to
Sunday, 28 March 2010, 02:00:00 local daylight time instead

Well it's I came up against the same problem and find my old post searching the forums ^^.

DST occured this weekend, all of my backups since have failed tape & disk and Mondays backups (1 whole day after the DST event occured). My backup windows are very generous and I can assure the windows are not the problem.

Now I guess I fixed my problem last time by rebooting, so I'll do the same and have the same fun next time. Annoying because my backups can't be re-run, I have 1 backup server and 30 systems to backup.

Tony_Morrissey
Level 4

I have another BE 11d server in our DMZ, this also has just failed with.....:
 (e000e020 - The job was scheduled to run, but the availability window closed before the job could start. There may not have been any destination devices available during the window, or the job may have been submitted to run when the window was closed.)

.....approx 3 days after a DST change has occured, in between the DST change and failure day it worked fine. So similar symptoms between BE11d <> BE 12.5, separate boxes, my conclusion is Symantec are just failing to deliver a fix on this, which is ridiculous.