Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error for Invalid credentials in SQL 2008 R2 selection list in BE 2010 R2

Nene
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Guys,

I am here again with an issue when trying to create a backup job for SQL 2008 R2 in BE 2010 R2.

I get the following error:-

Logon account: System Logon Account.

"Failed to Log on to Microsoft SQL server "SQL Server 2008 R2".

An attempt to connect to SQL Server has failed. The logon account may have invalid credentials, or the logon account may have been applied to the wrong resource.

I have created two more accounts in the Backup Exec Logon Account Selection. The domain administrator and the SQL 2008 R2 service user account. But none of these are accepted.

Do I have to add the BE system account to the SQL instance?

What is your advice?

Thank you for your anticipated support.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi Nene,

Please go to sql studio management on SQL server for SQL2008 r2 & then under security go to logins & then add backupexec user account in there & give it server admin, sysadmin, dbcreator, role & then if possible restart sql services & then check it out

Also if that doesnot work please use the sa account & then check it out 

Also if you can close the earlier thread for DAG & please update on this with what happen

Thank You

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi Nene,

Please go to sql studio management on SQL server for SQL2008 r2 & then under security go to logins & then add backupexec user account in there & give it server admin, sysadmin, dbcreator, role & then if possible restart sql services & then check it out

Also if that doesnot work please use the sa account & then check it out 

Also if you can close the earlier thread for DAG & please update on this with what happen

Thank You

Nene
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi itsmeaffinity,

I really appreciate your help. I actually worked on the adding the Be account to the Sysadmin in the SQL. i just finished doing a full backup now.

Thank you for your support.

What do you advice about incremental backups for the SQL?

Is it compulsory i do the IDR backup which always prompts when a job is running?

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

About IDR it is legacy & free option with backupexec so yes it help in automated restore using recvoery CD which it build with .dr files

But backupexec also has an additonal S/W called Backupexec system recovery which actually do bare metal restore & does voulme based backup & is basically disk based backup s/w. & it actually has the image backup so you can do restore it on same server or even you can restore it do different h/w so this are some benefit you get this paid version version of s/w & easy to use as compared to IDR & manage

About doing incremental yes it is good option to do that with SQL which is called log backup so yes you can do log backup for sql

Please mark this solved if this have answered your questions

ThanK You

pkh
   VIP    Certified

IDR it is legacy

IDR is certainly not legacy.  It is still very much a part of BE.  It is not compulsory to use IDR for your restore, but IDR does automate the restore process, making it easier.

BESR is not part of BE.  It is a totally seperate product which you need to purchase from Symantec.

About doing incremental yes it is good option to do that with SQL which is called log backup so yes you can do log backup for sql

Log backups backup the transaction logs and incremental database backups backup database changes.  Log backups are totally different from incremental backups of databases.  Doing log backups cannot be a substitute for incremental database backups. 

Nene
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the explanation. I already use BESR 2010 at another site. I just wanted some advice on best backup practices and best restore methods for databases.

I will send more queries as they come.