cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error-handling rules for missed jobs, BE2015

nPc
Level 4

Hi all,

I've had BE2015 for a little more than 2 months now, and almost all of the issues are ironed out, but one niggling problem remains:  I cannot create a functioning error-handling rule to address the 'missed job' e000e020 situation.  I have tried to do this through the 'Configuration and Settings > Error-Handing Rules', and also  by right-clicking on a Missed job in the Job Histories, and selecting 'Error Handling'.

The rules exist, they just don't seem to work, and I can find no record that they tried to run and failed, or any other detail.  It's tricky to run the Debugger, because you never know when the missed job situation will actually arise, and if I let the Debugger run all weekend, I'll fill up the Applications volume with log files.

There is only one other rule Enabled, "Recovered Jobs", which I believe was automatically created by BE - I certainly didn't create it. That does appear to run when jobs end up as 'Recovered', a situation that doesn't happen at all frequently.

I had this rule set up in BE2010, and it worked perfectly.  It was very handy because with over 50 jobs and 150 servers a 'Missed' condition happens every weekend, and this simple rule would catch those and automatically re-run them w/o human intervention.  Now, I have to log in every weekend and re-run jobs.

My system is:

Win2008 R2 Std. - BE2015 (Ver 14.2 Rev. 1180, 64-bit) - no Antivirus - standalone physical server - up to date w/ patches and Hotfixes.

Any thoughts on why this rule wouldn't run?

Thanks!

Neil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I believe it cannot be configured for missed jobs since BE 2010 R3 (atleast if i recall and quite surprising that you were able to configure it). Would recommend to log a formal support case and reference https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH176762.html

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I believe it cannot be configured for missed jobs since BE 2010 R3 (atleast if i recall and quite surprising that you were able to configure it). Would recommend to log a formal support case and reference https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH176762.html

nPc
Level 4

Interesting, and a little sad. I had not found that Technote previously.  I can certainly configure the rule, and it gives every presentation of being available except that it just doesn't work.  Absolutely baffling that such a simple and useful bit of functionality would be broken.

Thank you for the reply and the reference.  I will certainly log a formal support case.  Not having this simple rule requires me to have to log in on the weekend to re-run multiple jobs manually.  Very annoying to say the least.

Cheers,

Neil

ErrHndlRulee000e020.jpg

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should not need to resort to errror handling rules to restart your missed jobs.  You should analyse why the jobs are missed and set the necessary pararmeters properly.  For example, the wait time before the job is rescheduled is too short and the solution would be to lengthen it.

nPc
Level 4

Certainly, you are correct, and we have a dedicated person managing the backups in this way, constantly reviewing problems and re-adjusting. However situations such as a tape filling up and stalling a single job which then gums up the entire queue, creating missed jobs, or a storage disk unexpectedly filling up, or other anomalous situations, do occur.  We are backing up over 10TB a weekend, flowing jobs to 15+ tapes,, missed jobs occur despite having wait times of 72 hours, and that particular error-handling rule was helpful in managing the process, creating a level of certainty and reducing human labor. It used to work in a previous version, but it does not work now, despite appearing to be available. It's not too much to ask for a tool that is present to actually work, especially when it did so before.

nPc
Level 4

If anyone else finds this forum topic with the same frustration, here is a bit of Powershell that might be of use.

To automate this, you could create a backup job (that only backs up a tiny text file to disk w/ a 1 hr retention time), and have it run this command as Pre/Post Command:

Get-BEJob -Name (Get-BEJobHistory -JobStatus Missed -FromStartTime (Get-Date).AddHours(-12) | select -expand name) | Start-BEJob | Out-Null

It will find any jobs flagged as "Missed" within in the previous 12 hours and re-run them.

This comes from Mike F Robbins' "Manage Backup Exec" .ps1 file, edited for Missed jobs instead of Error jobs.  Thanks Mike!

N

nPc
Level 4

If anyone else runs across this forum post with the same frustration, here is a bit of Powershell code you can run to catch and re-run Missed jobs.

To automate it, you could create a job backing up a tiny text file (to disk, w/ only 1 hr retention time), and have this code triggered by the Pre/Post Command setting:

Get-BEJob -Name (Get-BEJobHistory -JobStatus Missed -FromStartTime (Get-Date).AddHours(-12) | select -expand name) | Start-BEJob | Out-Null

Catches any jobs marked Missed in the previous 12 hours.

This comes from Mike F. Robbins "Manage Backup Exec" .ps1 file.  Edited to catch the Missed flag.  Thanks Mike!

Neil