cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error restoring a VM to another ESXI machine

resolver101
Level 4

Hi I've just backed up a VM using Backup Exec 2010 and I'm trying to restore it to another ESXI server (to test the backup), it gives me the following error:

Error category    : Resource Errors
Error             : e000846a - The resource could not be restored because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent. 
Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer.

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33898

How do I resolve the problem?  Im not sure where the problem lies, is it the source backup or the destination ESXI server? 

Thanks 

7 REPLIES 7

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

1. Are the source and target ESX Servers the same version and patch level.

2. Is Backup Exec fully patched.

3. As a test try to connect to the target ESX server and see if you can backup a small VM

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Make sure the ESXi server has a license installed, the BE vmware agent makes use of VADP, which is only available in licensed editions of ESX(i).

resolver101
Level 4

ESXI are the same build number 

Backup Exec fully patched

Both lisenced

I'll test point 3 "As a test try to connect to the target ESX server and see if you can backup a small VM"

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

What is your Backup Exec version ?
If you are not already running on 2010 R3, please update to this version as it contains lots of updates.

What is your ESX(i) version?
If you are using ESXi 5.1, this version is not (yet) supported with BE.

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

Thank you for the update. Once you test point 3 and is successfull, make the restore job using the same account that you have used to mak the test. This account needs to be specified the the redirection step to connect to the target ESX server.

resolver101
Level 4

The test backup from the target ESXI version worked fine. We're using Backup Exec 2010 R3 and the latest patches, I've just ran live update.  

Source: VMware 5.0.0, Build 469512

Target: VMWare 5.0.0, Build 469512

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

Did the restore work