cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when Backup Exec requests tape insert

stpaulschooltec
Level 2

We just recently switched over to Backup Exec 2015 from Backup Exec 2010. I'm learning the program but it's taking some time. Reading the manual is really dry and lots doesn't apply to our system.

What we are running into is when I set a job to restore. Occasionally it will require some of the tapes that had been previously removed to be inserted back into the Quantum I80 tape scalar for our Backup Exec program to read. But once I do there is no automatic sensing that the tape has been put in and I don't see where to go to let the backup Exec 2015 program know that hello it's there that tape you wanted it's in the I/O drawer, carry on with your restore job! Then it freezes the ENTIRE program, it causes a drive error because I can't eject the tape that is currently in the tape drive because it's waiting to grab the tape that it's prompting me to insert. Backup Exec gets confused and shows that the Tape library is offline then online then offline. I have to go into services in backup Exec and stop all services then start all services. Then manually run the command in the quantum scalar to eject the tape from the drive after the job has failed. I manually insert the tape it needs then I have to run an inventory and then restart the restore job.

I'm assuming there is a very simple step that I'm missing and I've searched through the manual but then get bored and try online and then any articles I think MAY be the solution end up in a cannot find page because of the change over to veritas and then the day is over and the next day usually something more immediate, exciting and demanding takes my attention until I have to do another restore job again then I'm wishing I had figured out how to insert the tapes without causing a lockup. which is where I am again. So I figured I'd ask on the forum so I can skip a few steps.

Thanks in advance

Vicky

3 REPLIES 3

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

What we are running into is when I set a job to restore. Occasionally it will require some of the tapes that had been previously removed to be inserted back into the Quantum I80 tape scalar for our Backup Exec program to read. But once I do there is no automatic sensing that the tape has been put in and I don't see where to go to let the backup Exec 2015 program know that hello it's there that tape you wanted it's in the I/O drawer, carry on with your restore job! Then it freezes the ENTIRE program, it causes a drive error because I can't eject the tape that is currently in the tape drive because it's waiting to grab the tape that it's prompting me to insert.

What alert are you receiving when BE wants you to fetch tapes for the restore?  I am assuming that it is requesting that you import media, which you are mis-interpreting.

Are you then running an IMPORT job?  The IMPORT job is what will move the tape(s) from the portal (I/O drawer) to a storage slot.

The restore job isn't going to go get tapes out the portal (I/O drawer by itself).  Theoretically, I guess that it could, but it doesn't.

The entire UI shouldn't freeze.  Please look to see if you have an un-answered alert someplace (possibly behind the main program window or something else) or you have your alerts minimized then makes sure to check the Home tab, under Active Alerts.  BE 2010 still had the dedicated Alerts tab, but BE 15 doesn't.

I don't know why there would be a tape in the tape drive during this, unless there was a second job running.  When the restore job discovers that the tape it needs is not in the library, it should be alerting you to import media and there shouldn't be a tape in the drive from the restore job.  Do you have other jobs running?  How many tape drives do you have?

stpaulschooltec
Level 2

Hi Larry;

Do you have other jobs running?  How many tape drives do you have?

I try to only have one job running at a time.  and we only have one tape drive.  

What we do is backup our data onto tapes using backup exec 2015, and every week I swap the tapes out and keep them at a secure different location in case of a fire/flood or some other catastrophic emergency that destroys our data.

Occasionally we will get a call that says HEY our files are corrupted or we deleted something we shouldn't have and if it's been longer than a couple days the data in the netapp has been written over so I have to go into backup exec and create a restore job from a backup set, if it's soon enough the tapes are still there, if it's after I've pulled the tapes I have to go get them.

I guess the main problem is the prompt to insert tapes doesn't happen right away, it seems to pop up anywhere from 30minutes to an hour after it's been sitting there queued.  The message I get is Please insert Media '000066' (or whatever barcode number it is) into the robotic library by creating an import media job.   If the media does not have a bar-code click options on the import job Properties and select 'auto-inventory after import is completed'.  the choices are respond OK or Close.  Our tapes are bar-coded.

So I inserted the tape 000066 into the quantum scalar robotic library i/o then choose import into library then run the import tape.   Then I click Respond OK, BUT here's my issue. While the job is queued I can't start another job to inventory the tapes and the import option is greyed out.  

I tried putting the job on hold so I could run an inventory using backup exec after importing the tape using the quantum scalar commands.  But I just get Pending Hold and then when I try to take the job off hold it doesn't come off. it just says Pending hold until I get frustrated and restart all the Backup Exec services and the job is canceled. I run an inventory and then once that's done I rerun the restore job again. 

The main issue is I have teachers chomping at the bit wondering when they can get their data back and when it takes almost 12 hours to get to the point where it's asking me for the tape insert and then I have to cancel it and start over it just adds a lot of time to the process. 

I inherited this position two years ago and have had to pretty much self teach how to use the Backup Exec, netapp and quantum scalar programs.  It's been a fun ride but there are days I feel like I've barely scratched the surface. 

When I don't have to insert a tape the restores work beautifully, no issues. it's just when I have to insert a tape that everything goes bad.  

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I guess the main problem is the prompt to insert tapes doesn't happen right away, it seems to pop up anywhere from 30minutes to an hour after it's been sitting there queued.

In my experience, the request to import media has always popped up fairly quickly.  I can see how getting surprised 30-60 minutes later would be an annoyance.  Your predecessor may have configured things such that you have a huge catalog that is taking a long time to sort through.  Or maybe you have a corrupt catalog.  This probably warrants it's own thread once we have the other issues worked out.

The message I get is Please insert Media '000066' (or whatever barcode number it is) into the robotic library by creating an import media job.

So I inserted the tape 000066 into the quantum scalar robotic library i/o then choose import into library then run the import tape.   Then I click Respond OK, BUT here's my issue. While the job is queued I can't start another job to inventory the tapes and the import option is greyed out. 

Mybe I am mis-interpretting your comments.  Here is how the sequence should work:

1) The restore job issues the "Please insert Media '000066' (or whatever barcode number it is) into the robotic library by creating an import media job." alert.  The tape drive should be empty.

2) You pick a slot (assume it is empty to keep this simple), right click and select Import | Import media now.

3) BE issues an alert/request for you to put the tape in the portal (I/O drawer).

4) You put the tape in the portal.  I am not familiar with that library, so I don't know if you need to use the library LCD to open the portal (i/o drawer).

5) You acknowledge the BE import job alert (#3).

6) The import job runs.  The tape gets moved from the portal to a storage slot.

7) The restore job realizes that the desired media is now available (generally this happens automatically, but you may need to repond to alert #1 now)

8) The restore job moves the tape from the storage slot to the tape drive.  The restore job runs.

Since you are using bar codes, there shold not be a need to run an inventory.  If you would like to run an inventory, then I suggest using the option when creating the Import | Inventory after Import.

When right clicking on an empty slot, the import option should never be grayed out.  If the slot is occupied, then you want to select Export Media | Import after Export.