cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when try to backup SQL Server 2008 R2 database on Symanetc Backup Exec 2010 R3

vparlaghy
Level 3

Hello, I have Symantec backup Exec 2010 R3 (Ver 13) running on Windows 2003 server , that allows me to backup SQL 2005 databases but cannot do the same on  SQL Server 2008 R2 databases getting the following error:

Final error: 0xe000848c - Unable to attach to a resource. Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.  If the server or resource no longer exists, remove it from the selection list. Edit the selection list properties, click the View Selection Details tab, and then remove the resource.
Final error category: Resource Errors

Before running the task I run a logon account test to check the application can validate the user that will use to perform the backup and it was successfull. (attached in file)

I´ll appreciate if can help me to fix this issue.

Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

In addition to above, if SQL 2008 R2 is patched with either SP1 or SP2, then pls ensure BE 2010 R3 and the remote agent is also patched with atleast SP3.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...make sure the BE service account has permissions on the SQL server as per the TN below:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH130255

Thanks!

SSR_7767
Level 4

Please make sure that the backup account is added in the SQL Server Management Studio and ensure that it has SYSADMIN role.

Also, under USER MAPPING, please ensure that the account has db_dbreader, db_dbwriter and db_owner rights on the MASTER database.

vparlaghy
Level 3

Thanks for th reply, I´m using sa SQL account that as I understand should have enough permissions on the SQL.

Do you have a list of which permissions should have the user that should use to connect to database to be able to perform athe backup?

Thanks..

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

In addition to above, if SQL 2008 R2 is patched with either SP1 or SP2, then pls ensure BE 2010 R3 and the remote agent is also patched with atleast SP3.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...they are included in the TN I posted, but here are they (taken directly from the TN itself):

About logon rights required to protect Microsoft SQL data:

Backup Exec requires the following rights to protect SQL data:

The account used to protect Microsoft SQL data should have Administrator rights on the SQL server as well as the SQL databases. This is necessary specifically for SQL database restore procedures, where the SQL services or cluster groups may need to be controlled as part of the restore operation.

I don't think that sa rights are good enough.

Thanks!