Good morning / afternoon or evening all,

Here is the problem I got with my current environment running

Backup Exec: BE2012 SP3

Storage: DELL TL2000 (2 drviers)

Configuration and Settings --> Backup Exec Settings --> Settings --> Storage

Media overwrite protection level

Checked - Partial - protect only allocated media

Media overwrite options

Checked - Overwrite scratch media before...

Backup Job options --> Storage

Media set: Keep data for 9 weeks and infine append

During the weekly full backup I encountered an error message "Please insert overwriteable media to the library...", all the scheduled job pending evening I found the tape library have at least 3 tapes with the status "Infinite - Allow append"

Temporary workaround I erased one media then the backup resume as usual. Anyone know what's going wrong here??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If your job specify append, then it can only append to the first tape. For the second and subsequent tapes, it will need overwritable tapes. You got to make sure that you have sufficient overwritable tapes BEFORE the jobs start

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If your job specify append, then it can only append to the first tape. For the second and subsequent tapes, it will need overwritable tapes. You got to make sure that you have sufficient overwritable tapes BEFORE the jobs start

ericSean
Level 3

pkh appreciated with your update.

Please correct me if I get your answer incorrect. Even a appenable tape is available inside the tape loader but the BE2012 only take the first available and the next need to be a overwritable tape.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Yes. That is correct

ericSean
Level 3

Understand your update but somehow I found some interesting thing happened last night.

I amended the following setting

Settings --> Storage --> Media overwrite protection level

"Checked" None

Everything seem OK...... let monitor for a few more days especially I have to wait until to next weekly full backup to confirm is the solve my problem.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you set the OPL to None, you have turned off media protection.  All your OPP and AP settings will not apply.  Are you sure you want to leave your media unprotected?  You might as well forget about doing any backups because they may be not available when they are needed.

NightMare07
Level 3

how to set overwritable media to the 2nd tape if 1st tape is only default to be the infinite allow append..

I'm having a problem to our backup.... when the 1st tape become full, SBE cannot see available media to write even there are 2 available slots...

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If you are using partitions then BE will not get overwritable tapes from another partition. Make sure that your tapes are overwritable BEFORE the start of your job