cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Errors backing up V3.0 WSUS databases

David_Perrin
Level 5
We have 3 machines running WSUS V3.0, and BackupExec will not back any of them up.  Two of the servers get tthe error, 'Unable to attach to  Server\WSUS.  V-79-5734-33932 - Unable to attach to a resource...' 

The third gets an error, 'V-79-57344-851 - The path for this database is invalid because it contains extra backslash characters.  You must remove the extra backslash characters before teh database can be backed up.'

I found a solution for this later problem which involved running SQL Enterprise Manager, but SQL is actually not installed ont this machine, so that solution is no good.

The suggestion for correctin the former problem was to stop the SQL Server VSS Writer service, which I have done, but the problem still occurs.

Any Ideas?
14 REPLIES 14

Max1E06
Level 2
I have the same exact problem here.  I basically had to stop backing up the WSUS 3.0 database.  I keep waiting for a  hotfix or something from Symantec so that BE will properly handles this.  Have you had any success getting this to work?

Message Edited by Max1E06 on 07-10-200711:31 AM

David_Perrin
Level 5
Thank you for the reply, Max.

No, I have not had any success with this.  Since we installed WSUS V3.0 the problem has persisted. 

I installed all the hot fixes that were available hoping this problem would be resolved, but it is not.   Every nightly (partial) and weekend (full) backup is reporting the same errors.  A long time ago (before version 10), I  separated my SQL backup from the normal job so it does not use the OFO, and all the other databases are backed up with no problem, except the WSUS databases.

Message Edited by David Perrin on 07-10-200711:37 AM

David_Perrin
Level 5
Does anyone else care about backing up the Windows Updates database?

Dan_Marini
Level 3
I'm having the same exact problem.  Symantec what's the deal here?   Your support article:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/286848 doesn't apply to me.  I'm using the windows internal database.

Dan

David_Perrin
Level 5
Well, at least I know I'm not the only person having this problem with the WSUS database.

Any ideas, Symantec?

David_Perrin
Level 5
Is there a way to backup the V3.0 WSUS databases with version 11D?

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
I know it doesn't help you at all, but I backup a WSUS database with no problem? My WSUS database is on an SQL 2005 server. Are you using Windows Database, or whatever they call MSDE now?

David_Perrin
Level 5
I believe all 3 are using MSDE, and two of the 3 were upgrades.

Message Edited by David Perrin on 07-16-200701:07 PM

Johnny_B
Level 3

In my case this error started after we removed WSUS.   Apparently BE was still looking to process this MSDE database which no longer existed.  There were never any errors while WSUS database was active.

After months of annoyance I stumbled upon a solution.  It turned out that my BE selection lists were at fault.  Even though the WSUS database had long been removed, the BE selection list must have still referred to it.  Mind you, no where in the selection list was this reference evident.  I’ve had similar phantom references with selection lists in the past.

Out of desperation I created new backup lists and associated them with the appropriate jobs.  Immediately after deploying the new lists, the errors stopped.

I hope my experience can shed some light on your issues.

Message Edited by Johnny B on 07-17-200708:07 PM

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Johnny, sounds like rather than rebuild the selection lists, you could have edited the existing ones in text mode.

Johnny_B
Level 3
Hywel, Thanks for the tip. I had assumed that the graphical view would be identical to the text view.  How is it possible to have discrepancies between the two views?  I am a new user of the current versions.  The last version of BE that I was proficient in was 7.0. 

Timothy_Morris
Not applicable
I solved this today with the help of a Symantec Technician.

Firstly you need a copy of MS SQL Server Management Studio Express.

You can't connect to the Microsoft Internal database using the normal <servername>\MICROSOFT##SSEE name instead you have to use a named pipe: \\.\pipe\mssql$microsoft##ssee\sql\query. Select Windows Authentication.

Connect to the database and expand the databases node.
Just for safety right click on SUSDB and select Tasks|Backup, select disk, click Add and choose an appropritate filename to save a backup of the SUSDB to.
Right Click on SUSDB and select Tasks|Detach
Tick the "Drop Connections" box and then click on OK.

Right Click on the databases node and select attach.
Click the Add box.
On my system the tree was already open at the correct point, for my installation: F:\WSUS\UpdateServicesDbFiles. You might have to navigate to the folder that you chose to store WSUS data in at installation time.
Click on SUSDB.mdf, click on OK, and then click on OK again.

SUSDB should now be in its rightful place under the tree and you should be able to backup without error.

Tim

David_Perrin
Level 5
Thank you very much, Timothy - this solved on of my 3 WSUS problem machines.  We will see if it works on the other two.

I appreciate your input very much.

David

Message Edited by David Perrin on 08-16-200706:18 AM

David_Perrin
Level 5
This problem is resolved.  The two servers that were giving the WSUS message were trying to backup a database that was tnot there.  When I went to view text mode and removed the extra lines, the errors all went away.

Thank you for your input.