cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Errors connecting to the database after SP1 and all recent hotfixes applied

E_S_L
Level 3

Greetings,

I have been running BE12 straight from the box just fine for a few months.  The other day I did a live update and installed SP1 and about 12 hotfixes/updates.  Ever since then I have been having problems and have been receiving the error messages listed below.

BE12 is installed on its own W2k3 SP2 32bit Enterprise server.  The db backend is installed in its own instance in a SQL 2005 cluster running W2k3 SP2 32bit Enterprise, whose disks eventually reside on a FC SAN.

The first error pops up randomly several minutes after I open the GUI:

"The connection to the backup Exec database has been lost.  Make sure that network cables are properly attached and plugged in, and that services are running for the SQL Server instance on which the Backup Exec database is installed"

After that, it asks me for the password to log in, and it lists the services as running.  Sometimes this will let me in, and sometimes I get an "Access denied" error

In the event viewer, I get the following entries:

Event # 57345:

Database Exception Context:CBESession::CreateDBCmd Error:4313:Unable to read from or write to the database.
 :: -2147467259:[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied. :: DB Error Set 0: native=0x11 source=Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server hr=0x80004005 [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied. 

Event # 57345:

BeServer lost connection to the database.  Some operations may not work properly

Event # 57345:

Database Exception Context:_OpenDataStore: Initialize Error:4313:Unable to read from or write to the database.
 :: -2147467259:[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied. :: DB Error Set 0: native=0x11 source=Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server hr=0x80004005 [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

Event # 57345:

Database Exception Context:BENEDB::GetSession Error:4313:Unable to read from or write to the database.

Event # 57345:

Database Exception Context:BENEDB::CreateCmd Error:4313:Unable to read from or write to the database.

Event # 57345:

Database Exception Context:AutoClearAlerts: sp ClearAutoAlert Error:4313:Unable to read from or write to the database.

And exactly sixty seconds later, this event:

Event # 57345:

BeServer has reestablished connection to the database.

11 minutes after that, more errors:

Database Exception Context:CBESession::CreateDBCmd Error:-536837662: :: -2147467259:Timeout expired :: DB Error Set 0: native=0xffffffff source=Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server hr=0x80004005 Timeout expired 

Database Exception Context:BENEDB::GetSession Error:-536837662: :: -2147467259:Timeout expired :: DB Error Set 0: native=0xffffffff source=Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server hr=0x80004005 Timeout expired 

Database Exception Context:BENEDB::CreateCmd Error:-536837662: :: -2147467259:Timeout expired :: DB Error Set 0: native=0xffffffff source=Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server hr=0x80004005 Timeout expired 

Database Exception Context:AutoClearAlerts: sp ClearAutoAlert Error:-536837662: :: -2147467259:Timeout expired :: DB Error Set 0: native=0xffffffff source=Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server hr=0x80004005 Timeout expired

Now usually to test DB connections I go intoAdministrative Tools -> ODBC Data Source Administrator and test the System DSN connection to the SQL cluster.  This always results in success, telling me that the database connection is good.  My DBA says there are no errors on the DB or SQL end and that it must be something local on the backupexec server.  Help!

3 REPLIES 3

Vijay_S_Mishra
Level 6
Employee Certified

You can try running a extensive repair of BE database from BE utility in the following manner :

Go to Beutility : "X:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\BEUTILITY.exe"

- Say yes to the message

- click on all media servers

- right click media server name on the right hand pane  (and run the following options in the specified manner)

1. repair database

2. rebuild database indices

3. Compact database

4. Age database

5. Check database consistency

If you still get errors try running a repair install of BE from add remove programs 

E_S_L
Level 3
Thanks for the tips.  I ran all of those, so now I'll wait and see if the problem comes back.

E_S_L
Level 3
Unfortunately the problem came back and broke all of last night's backups.  I will read through the error log, but that must be the most dense error log I've ever come across.  It looks like over 2MB of ASCII.
Message Edited by E S L on 08-29-2008 03:49 PM