cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Errors trying to start Backup Exec

dmikester1
Level 4
One of our servers was having some disk errors.  A company that we outsource to got it fixed and copied everything back onto it.  Since that happened, Backup Exec has not been running.  When I try and run it, the prompt comes up to connect to media server and says the services are stopped.  When I try and start the services from there I get an error that says:
"SQL Server could not find the specified named instance (BKUPEXEC) - please specify the name of an existing instance on the invocation of sqlservr.exe.
If you believe that your installation is corrupt or has been tampered with, uninstall then re-run setup to correct this problem."

Anyone know how I can go about diagnosing this?
Thanks
Mike
13 REPLIES 13

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

It is not able to connect to the sql database. Check if your sql browser service is running and also in the sql connection the tcp/ip is set to both ways.
I

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
follow the technote http://support.veritas.com/docs/253885
- Renamed the files
master$4idr -> master.mdf
mastlog$4idr -> mastlog.ldf
model$4idr -> model.mdf
modellog$4idr -> modellog.ldf
msdbdata$4idr -> msdbdata.mdf
msdblog$4idr -> msdblog.ldf
And try restarting the services again

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Also make a copy of your data and catalog folder befoe making any change

dmikester1
Level 4

I'm not exactly sure what you mean.  Can you give me a little more details on how to check this?
Thanks

dmikester1
Level 4

I copied the two folders and changed the file names and am still getting the same error.
Thanks
Mike

dmikester1
Level 4

What is the name of the SQL browser service?  And where and how do I check the TCP/IP settings for SQL?
Thanks
Mike

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Is you Sql servcie started ?

dmikester1
Level 4
The service called MSSQL$BKUPEXEC is not started.  When I try and start it I get: "SQL Server could not find the specified named instance (BKUPEXEC) - please specify the name of an existing instance on the invocation of sqlservr.exe.
If you believe that your installation is corrupt or has been tampered with, uninstall then re-run setup to correct this problem."
followed by: "Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly".

The service called SQLAgent$BKUPEXEC is not started.  When I try and start it I get: "SQL Server could not find the specified named instance (BKUPEXEC) - please specify the name of an existing instance on the invocation of sqlservr.exe.
followed by: "Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start".

If you meant a different service, please let me know.
Thanks
Mike

dmikester1
Level 4

Another question.  If I do a repair off the CD, what folders/files should I backup first?
Thanks
Mike

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
if you do a repair install it would not have any effects ...but still you can backup your catalog and Data folder ... If repair does not help you would need to Uninstall and reinstall and then get your configuration backup using the data and catalog folder .

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
...go into BEutility.exe --> All Media Servers --> right-click your server name, and choose: Repair Database (if you have that option).
Failing that, you might want to look into creating a new DB through BEutility.exe by choosing the Recover Database option, and then choosing "Drop existing database and reload from base". Either way, make sure you have a copy of your Data/Catalogs folders.
You can't log a call with Symantec, as they will tell you to upgrade to the latest version...

dmikester1
Level 4

Craig,
I went into BEutility.exe and clicked on All Media Servers.  It has none listed there.  What does that mean?
Thanks

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Just add your server there manually if not listed