Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Estimated time for 75GB Database to restore

Optimus_Prime
Level 5
Partner
Hi

Is it possible for me to check how long will it take for me to restore a 75GB Database of our Exchange. We are running in a SAN Environment. What are the things should I know to check the estimated time for the restoration? thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

gilbert08
Level 5
Partner Accredited
I can estimate approximately 2 to 2.5 hrs, however  it might take less or more time.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Optimus,

It's kind of a case of how long's a piece of string...?
It's going to depend on the speed of your SAN; whether or not you're using a SAN-attached library to restore to a SAN-based disk or another network location (then your network speed comes into play); what your server is doing at that point in time (running other jobs would use CPU/memory of that particular server for example meaning slightly less resources for your restore), and whether or not you're duplicating to disk first (which is generally faster than restoring Exchange directly).
I'd go with about an hour or so. the speed of your disks and the number of disks in a group are going to influence speeds too...more disks = better performance.
I am about to restore about 300GB of Exchange DB so I will let you know how long it takes me to duplicate it to disk.

Laters!

Optimus_Prime
Level 5
Partner

hi CraigV,

thanks for your urgent reply. I'm running backup to tape with no duplicate. Kindly keep me posted on the time you will spend for 300GB of Exchange DB.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Optimus,

Sorry man, I think I should just expand a bit on what I said...

When I restore Exchange, I duplicate that to disk, and then restore from there. It's a lot more stable, and a lot quicker.
I am currently restoring about 50GB of data at 3.3GB/min. I've done 16.5GB in 30 minutes, taking into account the time to find the tape in the library (MSL6060), and then load it into the drive; then from there to spin the tape to the correct location. The speed is increasing all the time, and it should be done shortly.
This is from an MSL6060 connected to an HP Brocade 4GB SAN Switch, with a disk presented from an EVA 6100...so the environment is a proper SAN.

Laters!

gilbert08
Level 5
Partner Accredited
What is be the san bandwidth on your environment?

gilbert08
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Restore  depend on the ff factors pls see below

1.       Backup Exec Servers performance.
2.       Network traffic during the time of restore.
3.       The device from which you are trying to restore (Tape or Disk)
4.       The type of data that you are trying to restore.
5.       Destination servers performance.

Optimus_Prime
Level 5
Partner

Hope this answer would help you.

1. It is in a SAN Environment so it is a dedicated server.
2. Network traffic is not a problem since this server is connected in 1GB switch and within LAN
3. LTO4 tape device
4. database around 75GB
5. Network traffic is not a problem since this server is connected in 1GB switch and with LAN

gilbert08
Level 5
Partner Accredited
I can estimate approximately 2 to 2.5 hrs, however  it might take less or more time.