cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Estimating costs to cloud with Backup Exec

BEuser33
Level 2

Has anyone experience with cloud backups (Amazon S3 or Azure) and know how many PUT, COPY, POST, LIST and GET, SELECT and all other requests Backup Exec uses during 1TB data backup?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Girishrox
Partner    VIP   

When it comes to writing data to cloud storage for example azure Blob storage with Backup Exec there are couple of things to consider one is redundancy of keeping data in cloud like LRS,GRS, What tier the data is kept(Hot,cool,archival) , writing data to cloud storage (Put ,create ,append blob etc) and thirdly pulling the data out for restore out of cloud network also called egress charges. all these are the charges from cloud vendor sucg as AWS,Azure,Google .

When it comes to operations in azure blob storage data is written in blocks of 4 MB . so I will covert 1 TB into MB and divide it with 4 MB which comes out 25000 operations.

Hope it helps !!!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

VirgilDobos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi there, I would recommend getting in touch with a local Veritas partner to get help on this.

--Virgil

CCWW
Level 4

I could be wrong but I think those values are basically each file. So say you are backing up 1,000 files. That would be 1,000 puts. Gets would be retreivals. That's at least my understanding.  There's a ton of information on the AWS site which I've just started to investigate, check out this page:

https://aws.amazon.com/s3/pricing/

I'm not sure exactly how Backup Exec does the backup/copy/transfer to AWS so if they use some type of API it may be different than doing an actual put/get.

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

BE puts gets chunks which are 4 MB in size. So for 1 TB you divide it by 4 MB to get the number of Puts or Gets ( Backup , Restore resp.) Then it depends how many time the backups are retreaved as well.

Girishrox
Partner    VIP   

When it comes to writing data to cloud storage for example azure Blob storage with Backup Exec there are couple of things to consider one is redundancy of keeping data in cloud like LRS,GRS, What tier the data is kept(Hot,cool,archival) , writing data to cloud storage (Put ,create ,append blob etc) and thirdly pulling the data out for restore out of cloud network also called egress charges. all these are the charges from cloud vendor sucg as AWS,Azure,Google .

When it comes to operations in azure blob storage data is written in blocks of 4 MB . so I will covert 1 TB into MB and divide it with 4 MB which comes out 25000 operations.

Hope it helps !!!