cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Event-ID: 7034 - the Backup Exec Server service terminated unexpecedly

Jan_Egil
Level 3
Evaluation of BE 11d worked fine, so I bought a license. (Evaluation expired first, though.)

But now A get the Windows event no 7034: the Backup Exec Server  service terminated unexpecedly.

Worse, this is a deadlock, because I can't change anything in BE until I get the service running. I am presented with 2 alternatives:
- quit BE
- try to start the service once more

Any suggestions? Just uninstall and reinstall?
12 REPLIES 12

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Jan,

You should be able go to add/remove programs, select change and add your license keys there.

This should allow the services to start and Backup Exec to function properly again.

Patty

Jan_Egil
Level 3
To clarify: There was no deadlock in the interval after the trial expired and before I installed the license. Then the jobs simply refused to run.

The deadlock appeared after I (tried to?) install the license, I think I installed it from some menu item.

Right now I tried "repair installation" from the control panel - it seems to be hanging, but I'll let it hang until I return to the office. Then I'll take a look at "change installation" in the control panel.

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
I did an Add/Remove this weekend with Symatnec support.   It never allowed us to reinstall.  SQL Express did not uninstall properly.   I had to reinstall the OS to get it to work. 

Jan_Egil
Level 3
The 'repair' process got nowhere through the night, so I cancelled it.

Then trying 'Change' to add license - "An error occurred while trying to remove [BE11d]. It may have already been uninstalled."

Feels like booting might be fine here. But I'll have to wait untill the useres leave.

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Hi Jan,
Were you able to reboot your server?
What were the results?

Jan_Egil
Level 3
I don't think the re-boot mattered much.

However, during initial installation I was warned against doing it via Terminal Server, so I walked over to the server room and installed there.

When adding the license, I do not think of that as 'installation', so I did it via Terminal Server. It did turn out looking like an installation, but I do not recall any warning against using TS. Guess I should have added licenses from the server room?

Anyway, I uinstalled, reinstalled, got the TS warning and installed at the server room. The license was then present, and services seem to be running.

Almost going again, the problem now is that the tape drive is off-line: "e000810b - Physical Volume Library Drive not found." Maybe another re-boot...

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Does the tape drive show in device manager?

Jan_Egil
Level 3
Yes, visible, but with

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
So there is no current driver, that would cause the drive to be offline.

Run tapeinst.exe to load the Symantec drivers, this will require another reboot but you can choose to reboot later.

Patty

Jan_Egil
Level 3
I did an otherwise hands-off re-boot, that seems to have done the trick.

Jan_Egil
Level 3
A hands-off re-boot fixed the driver problem. And I have successfully run a restore job.

But: When I try to run the backup job, the response is:
[jobname] -- The job failed with the following error: Access to a device was not authorized with this edition of Backup Exec.
"This edition"? Is this because the job did exist at a time when there was no valid license?

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
What are you trying to Backup?

If you had a job with SQL and it ran in Evaluation mode, if you did not put the SQL license in you will see this error.  That is the same for the Remote Agent, Exchange or any other agent we have.