cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Event id : 34113 - Snapshot technology error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

TE_Karatay
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi everyone,

One of our clients uses Backup Exec 2012 SP1 and I am responsible for Backup Exec as an technical support engineer.

We have an issue for backing up Exchange database. All databases are backing up succesfully but two of them always get this error.

I need for advices in order to resolve this problem quickly.

Event id : 34113 on backup exec server

And this is the error message in backup exec :

V-79-57344-65233 - Snapshot Technology: Initialization failure on: "\\[Exchange server name]\Microso...
Snapshot technology error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

Writer Name: Exchange Server, Writer ID: {76FE1AC4-15F7-4BCD-987E-8E1ACB462FB7}, Last error: The VSS...  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

In a command prompt, run vssadmin list writers.  If there are any writers which are not o.k., reboot your Exchange server.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified

In a command prompt, run vssadmin list writers.  If there are any writers which are not o.k., reboot your Exchange server.

MusSeth
Level 6
Employee Accredited
What is the version of exchange you are backing up...Check the writers on passive node for this two databases if it is exchange 2010 dag if writers are in failed state reboot the server and retry job....meanwhile you can even use backup databases from active node only option in backup job properties

TE_Karatay
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Now exchange server has been rebooted. And I will be monitoring exc. backup jobs to be sure.

For now it looks like rebooting the server has worked. Altough there was no error when using vssadmin list writers, rebooting the server looks like as a solution.

I will be update this issue when it has been approved.

Thank you all for your advices.

TravelMan
Not applicable

Event ID: 34113 - V-79-57344-65233 - Snapshot Technology: Initialization failure on: "\\ servername \Microsoft Information Store\Public Folder Database 1159845336".
Snapshot technology used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
Snapshot technology error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status

I started getting the above error on failing backups last week, running BE 2012 v14 on a Win 2008 R2 sp1 Enterprise server. BE had run successfully for years until now. If I run vssadmin list writers, there are no errors.

If I reboot the server, then BE completes successfully. Do I understand from the above that I must reboot this server every night? I would really like to know the concept of what is happening.

TE_Karatay
Level 2
Partner Accredited

It seems that rebooting the server solves the problem but when it happens again the server must be rebooted again.

vermilion666
Not applicable

Hi,

can some help me or explain further why we need to reboot the each server everytime we stumble w/ this error? On my part the exchange servers are connected to EMCVNX5300 storage. Up to now i havent found explaination why we need to reboot it.

Regards,

Ian