cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exabyte VXA-2 Robotic Library

Volnei_Caetano
Level 3
I am trying to setup my Exabyte VXA-2 as a Robotic Library in the BE. BE sees it as a stand-alone driver only.
The SCSI IDS are:
Loader (VXA Autopak 1X10) ID=3, Sync = Async, Bus = 8
Tape (VAX-2) ID=4, Sync = 80 , Bus = 16

Firmware for the VAX-2 is 2105 (the most recent one, I believe)

I am using windows 2000 professional, SCSI Adaptec 29160.

I can't check HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SCSIChanger\VSDLoadTable
because it is HEX.

Device manager:

SCSI is OK!
Tape Drives is Exabyte VXA-2 SCSI tape drive
Medium Charges = Unknown Medium Changers device
SCSIChanger is working properly

I received the following message (events/System) after installing "BackupExecTapeDeviceDriverInstall_273853.exe":

*** The SCSIChanger service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the device specified. ***

I have installed a HP (StorageWorks 1/8) and worked perfectly.
I have tried many things up to now and I don't know whatelse can be done.
Any suggestion will be appreciated.

VC
7 REPLIES 7

anoop_nair_2
Level 6
Hi,

This problem usually occurs during first-time installation of an autoloader if the association between the drive and the changer hardware was not correctly established .

Refer to the technote below to resolve the issue:

TITLE: An autoloader drive appears incorrectly under standalone drives, and a device reported as "Unknown Drive - Disabled" is displayed under Changers on the Devices tab of the VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) for Windows NT and Windows 2000 interface.

URL: http://support.veritas.com/docs/235252

Volnei_Caetano
Level 3
Thanks for your reply,
I went through the docs you mentioned:

Document ID 235252: Comments

The device does not show up as changer/or robotic library. Only stand alone.
There is NO unknown device in the BE/Devices.

I also receive this message in events/system:

*** The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
SCSIChanger ***

I went through "Document ID: 231105" - Which is for BE 8.0, 8.5, 8.5 SBS, 8.6, 8.6 SBS - Mine is 9.1.
and I do have Robotic Library support enabled in my BE.

I installed a HP Autoloader to make sure I am not doing anything wrong. It worked smoothly.
Some differences I found:
HP: Sync 20 and BUS 16
The HP is using only one SCSI ID (5) and 2 LUNs (Loader=1 and tape=0)
THE VXA is using 2 SCSI (One for the Loader and one for the Tape)
SCSIChanger loads with no problem with the HP.

When installing the VXA:

This message appears with the VXA installed:

***The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
SCSIChanger ***

The SCSI changer in the device manager shows the yellow exclamation mark and device status is:

This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed.
(Code 24)

The VXA appears only as stand-alone.

Any other suggestion? It seems to me that it has something to do with drivers or firmware.
Does anyone know if the 2105 is the latest firmware for the Exabyte VXA-2 1X10?

Thanks

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Are you using Veritas drivers for the library or manufacturere drivers? I generally prefer the latest manufacturer drivers.

Are you current on firmware for both the library and the SCSI Controller?

Ameet_Thakkar
Level 6
To resolve the error "The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: dlttape-VRTS. Event ID: 7026 Source: Service Control Manager" perform following steps.

This error may occur because two device drivers are existing on the server for the same drive. We request you to remove either of the drivers, so that the device is controlled by only one device driver. We recommend installing Veritas Tape Device drivers for Backup Exec application.

Uninstall the existing device drivers and reinstall the latest Veritas drivers. Run tapeinst.exe to install Veritas driver.
"TAPEINST.EXE" is located in the directory x:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT (TAPEINST.EXE" is an automated installation application for installing tape device drivers )

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/199881.htm

VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 - Device Driver Installer (20050115) - Includes Tape Driver Release (20041231) and Robotic Library Release (45) (Intel Only)

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/273853.htm

We hope this helps. Let us know if the problem still exists and revert back with the error message.

Volnei_Caetano
Level 3
I think I found the solution. I did not have the manual for the AutoPak and I found it last Friday.
I changed the Emulation mode in the device (to EXB-210) and BE recognized the tapes and loader.

I will run more tests and let you know if that was the problem.

Thank you all,

VC

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
hello,

Thank you for the update.

If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be 'assumed answered' and archived.

Regards,

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
Archiving the post as per our previous reply