cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exactly how do the License Keys work?

GeekMan
Level 3

I recently ordered:

1 ea - Backup Exec ( base product, v12.5 )

1 ea - Exchange Agent

11 ea - SQL Agent

11 ea - Remote Agent

According to the License Info screen in BUE, I have:

1 ea - Backup Exec

2 ea - Exchange Agent

2 ea - SQL Agent

5 ea - Remote Agent

My salesman thinks everything is fine.  I do not.  He even said that he had shecked with Symantec, and THEY said it's correct.  ( My keys arrived via email, on 12/23.  I think tthe "A" team was at the Christmas party, and the "Z" team issued my keys. )

Can anyone tell me if this is correct?  If I ordered eleven (11) SQL agents, shouldn't I have eleven (11) license keys?   And the same for Remote Agent?

Also, it was my understanding that a license for SQL Agent was good for accessing via Remote Agent.  That I don't need 'both' to be installed.  A Remote Agent license is needed for a server without Exchange or SQL.  Correct?

And about the Exchange or SQL Agent...installation.  Is BUE smart enough to know that Exchange or SQL exists on a given server?  I mean, the ONLY Agent I seem to be able to install is Remote Agent.  I can't find SQL Agent or Exchange Agent anywhere.  Am  missing something?  If so, what?  ( The documentation was as clear as mud. )

Thanks in advance,

Tom

1 REPLY 1

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

One serial CAN but does not necessarily provide more that one license.  You should have gotten hardcopy of each serial and exactly what it consists of.

If you install a database agent on a remote server, then the RAWS should be included

(All the database serial does is unlock that capability on the Media Server, no code actually gets installed.  RAWS on the other hand does install code that runs a service.)