cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exception with VMed Exchange 2010 / BE2012

Marco_Tafur_-_Q
Level 4

Dear all,

We have installed BE 2012 to backup a VMed (VMware vSphere 5.1) Exchange 2010 SP1 (both are 64bit W2K8 R2 SP1) at a customer datacenter. Currently, we can backup that server using RAWS (and not AVVI) although at a really slow rate (about 80MB/min, I would like to discuss this issue in another thread) to a DAS Array (3 SATA disks). 

We have tried backing it up using AVVI but it always throws this exception:

V-79-57344-38727 - Backup Exec failed to snap virtual machine <PATH TO VM> and was unable to collect the necessary metadata to restore individual application items. You cannot perform GRT-enabled restores of application data from this backup.

It does happen to any VM we try to backup up using AVVI. I have read the Admin guide countless times and search in forums but still no joy. It does happens in BE 2010 with another customer.

Thanks for your Help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Did you remove the Vmware VSS provider:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH129864

And install the Symantec Backup Exec VSS provider ?

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Did you remove the Vmware VSS provider:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH129864

And install the Symantec Backup Exec VSS provider ?

Marco_Tafur_-_Q
Level 4

Hmmm...I'll take a look right now.

Will keep you posted.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Check to see how long a snapshot request takes if you just make the request via the vSphere Client - as it might be taking too long and Backup Exec then timing out. Remove the test snaphot when you have done this.

Also remove any existing snapshots from the VM in question as this can speed up the snapshot and backup processes

Marco_Tafur_-_Q
Level 4

Snapshots using AVVI are fast (4.8GB/min). I have the performance problem using RAWS (it drops to 88.00MB/min).

It seems performance issues are not only on BE2012 as there are reportes on BE2010 as well. Still don't have the answer for it either.

Colin_Weaver

I was refering to how long it takes to make the snapshot when I referred to how fast it was and timeouts - was not referring to transfer speed.

Marco_Tafur_-_Q
Level 4

Oww...it is fast...no timeouts are displayed. The requested time is the same as the start time.

Colin_Weaver

Ok so if it is the fast doing a manual snapshot then BE won't be timing out when it makes a request to VMware to take a snapshot which means it is not likely to be that causing the original problem.

Marco_Tafur_-_Q
Level 4

As I couldn't get my hands on the Exchange VM, I tested it with and SQL VM (which gave me the same result).

I did the following, according to ZeroC00l:

• Uninstall VMware tools.
  • Uninstall RAWS
  • Update BE2012 to SP1
  • Reinstall VMware Tools w/o Vmware Snapshot provider
  • Install RAWS (which is running with DOMAIN\Administrator)

Still got the same exception, however, this time, in the event viewer, there was a logon error to SQL server using the DOMAIN\administrator credentials followed by a BeVSSprov error.

It happened that the Agent service account didn't have privileges over the SQL server. Once I set those privileges, the backup job finished flawlessly.

However, that means BE 2012 vCenter account is not used (we are using DOMAIN\unique for that, not administrator). Instead, it uses RAWS' service account. I set up privileges for DOMAIN\unique on the SQL server but no joy. I had to use RAWS'. Is that correct?

Marco_Tafur_-_Q
Level 4

After doing that, everything's is fine now. Jobs are without errors.

Thanks for your help!