cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2003 - Brick Level Restore

Robert_M
Level 4
Hi - im using Exchange 2003 on Win2k3 Sp1 BE9.1Sp4a

My question is - does a brick level restore of a mail object dismount the mailstore while it completes?

I need to restore some items within a mailbox for a user but dont want to lock others users who are in the same store out while the restore takes place

Thanks
Rob
2 REPLIES 2

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
No you should be fine. Exchange Mailbox backups and restores work through Outlook rather than directly through the mailstore, so effectively Backup Exec will open Outlook to access the users mailbox, and restore the selected items through there.

One thing to note though, while I can't remember why or how it happened (straining to remember what I did several years ago), the last time I tried to restore some e-mails for one of my users, for some reason as well as restoring those e-mails which the user had deleted, it also restore the other e-mails, so they ended up with two copies of the mails they already had. I think in my situation it was a case where I didn't know exactly which mails had been deleted, so expected that if I restored all of them while telling the restore to skip items which were already there, it would be fine, however it didn't skip them. So unless you know exactly which items you need, I'd suggest creating a temporary mailbox, restoring the items there, and then you or your user can retrieve those items that they need.

Keith

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Robert,

Please let us know if the earlier suggestions have helped you resolve the issue.

==============