cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2003 Incremementals keep failing with 0xe000035e (but full backups work)

Alex_Pitzner_2
Level 3
Backup Exec 2010 running on Windows 2008 R2 64 bit

Exchange 2003 running on WIndows 2003 server

Full backups run correctly (I have them running once a month)

Incrementals always fail saying "The Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft Exchange was not used to create the last full backup of this database. You must use the Exchange Agent to run a full backup before you run a differential or incremental backup. "

The incremental fails at night even when I have run a full backup that same day.

Nothing else is trying to backup Exchange.

6 REPLIES 6

Dev_T
Level 6
The Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft Exchange was not used to create the last full backup of this database. You must use the Exchange Agent to run a full backup before you run a differential or incremental backup. "

This message comes when you backup Exchange database other than Backup exec. To verify this you can use the eseutil -mh to check when last full backup was completed.

If last full backup is referring to the correct date, then we have to run integrity check on the Exchange Database ....isinteg

Make sure Circular logging is disabled on this Exchange server.

Hope this helps...

Alex_Pitzner_2
Level 3

eseutil /mh verifies that the database last full backup were done at the exact time Backup Exec runs the full backup job
Previous Full Backup:
        Log Gen: 122164-122165 (0x1dd34-0x1dd35) - OSSnapshot
           Mark: (0x1DD36,8,16)
           Mark: 04/23/2010 19:00:17

I took the databases offline and ran isinteg -s <myservername> -fix -test folder on them.

It found and fixed a few errors:

You have selected First Storage Group / Mailbox Store
Continue?(Y/N)Y
Test reference table construction result: 0 error(s); 0 warning(s); 0 fix(es); 0
 row(s); time: 0h:0m:12s
Test Folder result: 0 error(s); 8 warning(s); 313 fix(es); 9211 row(s); time: 1h
:20m:22s
Now in test   3(reference count verification) of total   3 tests; 100% complete.

You have selected First Storage Group / Public Folder Store
Continue?(Y/N)y
Test reference table construction result: 0 error(s); 0 warning(s); 0 fix(es); 0
 row(s); time: 0h:0m:4s
Test Folder result: 0 error(s); 0 warning(s); 16 fix(es); 786 row(s); time: 0h:8
m:13s
Now in test   3(reference count verification) of total   3 tests; 100% complete.

I ran isinteg again but there were no errors of warnings anymore.

I tried another Incremental backup and it failed with the same error.

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Backup Exec supports Exchange Incremental Backups only with policy...Is your job with a policy?

Hope this helps...

Alex_Pitzner_2
Level 3
We only use policy based jobs for backups, so..yes the job is with a policy.

Symc_Techie
Level 5
Employee

As you are using policies, the selection list would be the same. May I ask what is the version of Exchange. Is it the base version or you have some SP applied?

Alex_Pitzner_2
Level 3
Version: 6.5.7638.1, as per ESM

It is Exchange 2003 SP2 with the latest patches and updates applied.