cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2003 - Remote Backup Question

Keith_Duemling
Level 3
Situation: Currently we're testing backup operations for a Windows 2003 Exchange cluster (Active/Passive). When browsing to the servers while creating a job, I can see the information store to backup, but not the individual mailboxes and public folders. I would like to verify that I have everything installed correctly and if there are any steps I've missed.

Version: BE 9.1 (90 Day Eval)

Environment: I have installed the Exchange Agent on the backup server, along with Outlook 2003. The BackupExec account I'm using has local admin rights on the Exchange Servers, and is a member of the Exchange Administrators Group. The BE services all run under the credentials of the BE Account (domain), which has administrative rights on the backup server.

All machines are a member of the same Active Directory 2003 domain. Exchange Servers run Windows 2003 Ent Edition SP1 w/ Exchange Server 2003 Ent Edition SP1 + Hotfixes. Backup server is running Windows 2003 Server (no SP). BE Remote Agent installed on both members of the cluster.

Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
On the media server (where BackupExec is installed), have yo logged on as the BackupExec Service Account and created a profile, then tested the profile by sending and reading mail?

Keith_Duemling
Level 3
Ken,

I have been able to log into the media server and send/receive email to another account within the same domain. I have not sent/received email out of the domain, as this is currently an isolated pre-rollout environment.

Thank you.

Keith

Keith_Duemling
Level 3
Update:

I have installed the following Veritas updates without success.

VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for Windows Servers revision 4691 - Service Pack 2

9.1.4691 Hotfix 47 - Exchange Mailbox Backups (Backing up Microsoft Exchange mailboxes may cause the backup job to hang)

Still working on this if anyone has any hints. Thank you.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Have you extended the eval period of the backup exec ?

-- Also verify if the Exchage services are running.

Thank you for updating us on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Keith_Duemling
Level 3
I have not extended the evaluation period, as we performed the installation on April 27th.

All Exchange services are running on the Active Exchange node, and in Microsoft Cluster Manager. The single Exchange service installed on the BE server (i.e. media server) is also running. All Exchange services are currently running under the credentials selected by default.

The BE services are running under the credentials of the domain level service account I have created for BE to use. This account has administrative rights on both the media server, and all members of the Exchange cluster. This service is also a member of the Exchange Administrators domain security group.

Thank you for your help.

Keith_Duemling
Level 3
After working with Veritas support, the following resolved the situation;

1) Change:

Make the following changes to the Windows registry on the media server and all members of the Exchange cluster.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Veritas\Backup Exec\Engine\NTFS\Restrict Anonymous Support

from a reg_dword hexadecimal value of 0 to 1.

2) Restart the Veritas services.
3) Navigate to the virtual server in selections, and the Information Store, individual mailboxes, and public folders will be visible.

Hope this helps others in the future.
Thanks.