cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2003 Restore using VSS Backup

Martin_Tizzard
Level 2
Can anyone in the whole wide wonderful world help me with any of the following questions regarding the restoration of Exchange 2003 Information Store using VSS generated backup?

(I do not have AOFO installed on Veritas Media Server or Exchange Server. However I do tick the AOFO option and select Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service - Automatic to use the MS System provider for VSS snapshots.)

1) Can I restore an individual database (Private or Public only) from a VSS backup? Documentation states I can...just want confirmation that it works!

2) Do I need to restore special system mailboxes? Are there any implications if I choose not to? Will they simply be recreated? Again using VSS backup

3) Can I use the No-Loss Restore option when restoring an Exchange database from a VSS backup? The documentation states 'This option is not applicable if using the Advanced Open File Option... ' This is continually mentioned for many of the other options for restoring Exchange. Can someone please clarify why this options are not applicable? I appear to be able to select the no-loss restore option tickbox.

4) What happens if a Public Folder database is restored to an Exchange Server which was previously being replicated? That is, replicas exist between the failed PF store and another Exchange server. Does the restored PF store retain replication settings or are these lost? If so what are the implications on the other Exchange server? Do all replicas need to be removed and recreated?

With much thanks in advance.
1 REPLY 1

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Where is Exchange 2003 installed ? Is it on same Backup Exec server or a remote server ?

You have mentioned that you have not installed AOFO, then also you can select AOFO option !! Can you please clarify on this issue ?

Can you mention the document id which you are referring to....for restore of invidual database ?

KIndly update.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.