Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2003 backups fail with the error: "Database or database element is

PT
Not applicable
BE Windows v9.1 rev 4691

I followed the information in:http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/265159.htm

I completely deselected the Shadow Copy Components on the target server running Exchange 2003.

I am still getting errors:Error, Unable to open \ because it is currently being backed up by another process.
WARNING: "\\SERVERD01\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (SERVERD01)" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
Database or database element is corrupt
Error, Unable to open \ because it is currently being backed up by another process.
WARNING: "\\SERVERD01\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group\Public Folder Store (SERVERD01)" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
Log Files
Error, Unable to open \ because it is currently being backed up by another process.
WARNING: "\\SERVERD01\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group\Log files" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.

What other steps can I take to address this issue?
4 REPLIES 4

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

-Is NT Backup scheduled to backup an Exchange Information Store at the same time Backup Exec does ?

-Try to backup Exchange Information Store with NTBACKUP and Update us on the same and revert for any further Query

Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Chi_Wan
Level 2
I too am getting this error message using Veritas 9.1 SP4a

My exchange 2003 SP1 backups used to work properly. However a few days ago I stupidly ticked the Userdata area in Shadow Copy Components and that's when my problems began.

I have deleted the job, re-created it, renamed the selection list, moved the resource order, made sure the Userdata area is not ticked and I can't make this error go away. I was going to uninstall the whole Backupexec package and start from new but thought I'd give this forum a try first.

Please help as this is drving me nuts. As I said my exchange backups have been working fine until I ticked that Userdata area. Now I can't even create a new Exchange job that works - it's like Backupexec seems to think the Userdata is ticked when it isn't.

There is nothing else (ie. NT backup) running on the exchange box so there is no conflict with another application.

Chi_Wan
Level 2
I have managed to get the Exchange 2003 backup working again. Basically I created a brand new job with a totally different selection list name.

Made sure that Userdata wasn't selected, rebooted both the Backup Server and Remote Exchange 2003 server.

Exchange 2003 backups now working again. I feel that the Veritas Backupexec software is getting more and more flaky (SP4a not installing over previous service packs - had to totally uninstall the aplication from 3 servers and re-install, then apply the SP4a patch). Don't know if this is related to the merger with Symantec but I will seriously consider looking at alternative products on my next software upgrade/refresh cycle.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello PT,

- Could you please Update us on the issue?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.