cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2003 best method to do Test DR Recovery

MacLEOD
Level 4

I have been tasked with testing our Restore method for our Exchage server 2003 on a Windows Server 2003 in a VM

I am using BackupExec 11D currently for daily Full backups of the Exchange server.

I know it can not be as simple as creating a black VM that has Windows 2003 with same patch/SP level, with the RAWS Agent installed. and Redirect the restore to the new VM.

What consideratino and issues shoudl I be looking at?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Refer to http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH10533

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Instead of rebuilding other server (which is a bit time consuming) you may also consider a quick test of restoring Exchange databases to Recovery Storage Group. This will test if the backups are good or not. Here is the technote link to restore to the Recovery Storage Group

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH29719 : How to prepare Exchange 2003 so that a Recovery Storage Group Restore can be performed with Backup Exec for Windows Servers

Thanks,

-Sush...

MacLEOD
Level 4

I am looking at your links as I type.

The reason for the test is that I am looking to create a remote backup site that I can use to restore my Exchange 2003 server, for a backup site (DR plan).  So I am looking to recreate the enviroment at the second site that woud allow me to restore the Exchange to the servers and to get the systems running again.

So can I create a new VM (that would have a different IP and name), to a redirected restore to that server (that is just the basic windows/BackupExec agent and restore (havnig a exchange server that would be functional)?  Knowing that some DNS would have to be updated to point to the new IP of the server where the system has been restored to?

Or am I completely off track?

I was looking at adding a new server to the Exchange Admin group and assigning enouch space to that server to allow for a RSG but from what I have been told that would be a lot of work with the redirection of outlook to the new server.

I just seem to be missing something

Adam