Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2007 Differential Problems

TechOps_BMETC
Level 3

Hi I could do with some pointers,

We are running:

Backup Exec 2010 R2 13.0 Rev.4164 (64bit)
Service Pack 1
Hotfix 150096
Hotfix 144101
Hotfix 148347 
Hotfix 153090
Hotfix 147674
Hotfix 155520

We are using Exchange 2007 SP1 Rollup10 with the Backup Exec Exchange Agent.

The exchange backups use a policy running Daily/Weekly/Monthly Backups, with the daily's running a differential. All the backups are set to use GRT and these are staged to a Disk To Disk pool and duplicated to Tape.

The Disk to Disk media has a 4-day retension, the daily tapes - 1 week, Weekly Tapes - 5 weeks and Monthly - 1 year. The Disk to Disk has append set to 1 day and the Tapes have a 2 day append.

The Disk to Disk pool consists of 2 x 2.5TB partitions presented from our Storage SAN device. (See attached settings screenshot). Due to the size of the physical disks in the server the Backup exec catalogs are stored on one of these paritions.

The exchange has three storage groups the first two have 2 databases in each the third has public folders.

This backup has been working successfully for some weeks, we then had some failures where the disk to disk backup showed MAPI errors when trying to expand to see the mailboxes. The duplicates of the same images could be expanded without issue, then the final backups that week the duplicates failed with the following message:

Drive and media mount requested: 17/11/2011 06:58:15
V-79-57344-33029 - Error - Mount failed.
Invalid Physical Volume Library Media Identifier.

Media GUID: {ED3D78B2-E726-46BD-88B6-7A165193F903}
V-79-57344-33029 - Unable to acquire device for the specified pool and media

Job Completion Status
Job ended: 17 November 2011 at 06:58:54
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0008105 - Invalid Physical Volume Library Media Identifier.
Final error category: Job Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33029

Errors
Click an error below to locate it in the job log

Looking into the problem at that time we discovered that the Version of the Exchage tools on the Backup server vs Exchange were different, so we upgraded the tools to match exchange and the problems seemed to go away.

This week the exchange jobs have started to fail again in a similar way unable to expand the Disk to Disk image with the same MAPI error (See attached image) and the last couple of days the duplicates have started to fail as before as well:

Drive and media mount requested: 01/12/2011 09:00:30

Media GUID: {A9C81A81-0163-4DCA-B4A0-1293938A4E35}

Job Completion Status
Job ended: 01 December 2011 at 09:01:09
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0008105 - Invalid Physical Volume Library Media Identifier.
Final error category: Job Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33029

Errors
Click an error below to locate it in the job log

There has been no further changes to the Exchange or Backup Exec server since the last working backups.

If anyone could help shed any light on this problem or provide any possible solutions I would be greatful.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...have you ruled out any data corruption on that DB? what happens if you only back up that problematic SG?

You're also got 2 errors on the job logs you posted, and here are the TN's that address them:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH26992

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH4949

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV

Hi,

I'd suggest you upgrade to BE 2010 R3 firstly to see if this resolves your issue. You can use your current licenses, and it is a straight-forward upgrade. Run LiveUpdate to install BE 2010 R3 SP1, and then run it afterwards to install the subsequent patches.

Push-install these to the remote servers, and try the backup again.

BEFORE running the upgrade though, stop the BE services and grab a copy of the Data/Catalogs folders...

Thanks!

TechOps_BMETC
Level 3

Hi,

I have just revisited the Disk to Disk backups for this week and found anothe strange thing:

We have:

Exchange - Storage Group 1 - Database 1 and Database 2
Exchange - Storage Group 2 - Database 3 and Database 4
Exchange - Storage Group 3 - Public Folder Databases

The problem seems to be limited to Storage Group 1 the others on the same Disc to Disc image appear to expand and show the individual mailboxes as expected.

I appreciate Upgrading my resolve some issues but as this appears to have been working and then stopped this would imply some other transient issue or problem. To do a full upgrade I would need to go through a change approval process and find a suitable timeframe in which to implement the change, all of which will take time. I would appreciate any insights on a way to resolve the problem with the existing setup, enabling me to keep consistent backups whilst I prepare for a full upgrade that might resolve any problems I have.

Regards,

Paul

CraigV

...have you ruled out any data corruption on that DB? what happens if you only back up that problematic SG?

You're also got 2 errors on the job logs you posted, and here are the TN's that address them:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH26992

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH4949