cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2007 GRT can't restore individual email, no errors reported.

matech
Level 3
I'm trying to restore a single email (exchange 2007). The restore operation finishes succesfully without any error messages, but the email is not on the inbox.
- Exchange 2007 windows 2008 SP2
- Backup exec 12.5 rev  2213 windows 2003 R2 SP2

any ideas?
Thank you.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

caowen
Not applicable
I required Symantec support to get this working, but I was very close after following the instructions of this link: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/288777.htm

Only one step is missing from this. At step 7, Exchange Server Administrator rights are granted the BE service account for a particular Exchange server.

In my case it was necessary to also grant Exchange Organization Administrator role, and to remove the Exchange View-Only Administrator role if already assigned.

After this change, I was able to restore individual messages without trouble. 

There is one point that is never stated, and was helpful to me to clarify. There is NO use of the Recovery Storage Group mechanism for this operation. Individual messages are returned directly into the production database.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

What are the settings you have chosen when doing the restore?

Laters!

matech
Level 3

Restore Job Properties: Restore 00103  

Media Labels
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Media required for restore job: IMG000114
Source
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selections
Selection list: Restore 00103
Device
Device: All Devices (FILESERVER)
Maximum number of devices to use for resources that support multiple data streams: 1

Resource Credentials
Resources Resource Credentials
EXCHANGE2007 System Logon Account
First Storage Group  
Destination
File Redirection
Redirect file sets: No
Microsoft Exchange Redirection
Redirect Exchange sets: No
Settings

General
Job name: Restore 00103
Job priority: Medium
Restoring existing files:  Overwrite the file on disk only if it is older
Restoring security information:  Restore all information for files and directories

Restore corrupt files: No
Preserve tree: Yes

Advanced
When restoring registry information:  Merge the existing hardware configuration and registry services with the data to be restored
Junction points:  Restore junction points, symbolic links, files and directories from backup media

Restore Removable Storage data: No
Restore disk quota data: No
Restore Terminal Services database: No
Restore Windows Management Instrumentation repository: No
Restore cluster quorum: No
Mark this server as the primary arbitrator for replication when restoring folders managed by the File Replication Service, or when restoring SYSVOL in System State : No
Allow managed media server to use any network interface to access remote agents: No
Path on an NTFS volume that is local to the media server for temporary storage of restore data (Microsoft Virtual Server, Exchange, SharePoint, and Active Directory, and VMware Virtual Infrastructure restore jobs only): C:\TEMP
Microsoft Exchange
Automatically recreate user accounts and mailboxes: No
When restoring individual mail messages and folders, restore over existing messages and folders: No

Exchange v5.5
No loss restore (do not delete existing transaction logs): Yes
Restore public folder: Yes
Restore private mailboxes: Yes
Exchange 2000 and later
Log recovery options when restoring the Information Store:  Restore all transaction logs; do not delete existing transaction logs (no loss restore)
Path on Exchange Server for temporary storage of log and patch files:  C:\TEMP

Dismount database before restore: No
Commit after restore completes: Yes
Mount database after restore: Yes
Network and Security
Network interface:  Use any available network interface
Protocol:  Use any available protocol

Allow use of any available network interface, subnet, or protocol for remote agents not bound to the above network interface, subnet, or protocol.: No
Notification
Include job log with a notification to an e-mail or printer recipient: No
Job deletion:  Do not delete the job

matech
Level 3
Any ideas?????
Thank you.

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Have you tried restoring any other email OR item from Exchange ?

matech
Level 3
I have tried with different emails and with tasks and nothing happens
I always get the same email:

Symantec Backup Exec for Windows Servers has restored one or more items to your mailbox.  After verifying that all requested items have been restored, you can delete this message. For more information, contact your system administrator and refer to the job history for job <Restore 00104>.

matech
Level 3
Any suggestions???

CraigV

Have you tried staging to disk first BEFORE restoring from the staged files?
I see that your temporary staging area is C:\Temp...I know for a fact that if you don't have enough disk space, it does cause issues with restores from Exchange.
Take a look here, try it, and post the results...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

matech
Level 3
OK, I followed the instructions on the document, I also changed the temporary staging area and to H:\temp....the staging took 2:,5 h and the same for the restore and I got nothing, the same email telling the restore took place, but when I check my inbox the emails are not there. The restore doesn't report any errors

CraigV
Might be time to call Symantec and see if they can help you. Please post the resoluion here for all to see.

Shotto!

CFIAdmin
Level 2
I've had the same issue for months now. I've tried contacting Symantec on the phone multiple times but they haven't been able to fix the problem. I decided to try again today but have been on hold for over an hour and half. All this with an essential support contract!

Does anybody have a solution for this?

caowen
Not applicable
I required Symantec support to get this working, but I was very close after following the instructions of this link: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/288777.htm

Only one step is missing from this. At step 7, Exchange Server Administrator rights are granted the BE service account for a particular Exchange server.

In my case it was necessary to also grant Exchange Organization Administrator role, and to remove the Exchange View-Only Administrator role if already assigned.

After this change, I was able to restore individual messages without trouble. 

There is one point that is never stated, and was helpful to me to clarify. There is NO use of the Recovery Storage Group mechanism for this operation. Individual messages are returned directly into the production database.